Mixing small lots of powder?

Already done did it boys. Shoots just fine. 1/2 MOA in 20mph winds with 2" of vertical. Just going to run with it :) Thanks
Snapchat-1822794030.jpg

Great question and excellent thread of answers. I have added small amounts ( 25 to 30 grns of H 4831 into my RCBS Powder measuring machine , and opened a new can, and added enough powder to make 25 to 30 .270 Win Rounds at 59.5 Grns. I have never noticed a different group size, in my Light Weight Hunting Rifle. I'm also sure that 99.9 % of the time , its just Me , not the slight amount the same powder from different lot.

I've done this for over 40 years with all sorts of powder and have had absolutely NO negatives. Mix and shake the up to get a more homogeneous mix overall. In fact, recently I was developing a load for my 28 Nosler using Retumbo. It was scarce and found that I could only buy 1 lb here and there. I bought 6 pound from 4 different lots and mixed them all together in an old 8# canister. I repeatedly shook up that can several times each day for about three days. My load development went smoothly and my ES came out low and the SD runs around 3. I see no reason to doubt mixing powders of the same name/number as long as the manufacture of all the powder is the same. I do always check the velocities of the first five rounds fired after mixing just to confirm my known ballistics down range. GOOD LUCK!

I've done it quite a few times and had no ill effects to this point. I do keep powder inside shielded from large temp and humidity changes. Sounds like it worked fine for you as well.

I have about 7-8# more of H1000 in various lots from buying a pound or two here and there when and where I could find it. I think I'm just going to mix them all together and throw em in a 8# container and call it good from here on out. Retweaking loads every 100 or 200 rounds gets old...I like to do more shooting than sitting at a bench the older I get!

Last practice run before the 1000 yard match tomorrow. To be fair, the wind was only blowing 10mph with the 72g load and had picked up to 20-25mph with the 72.5 load. I blew the first shot wide right with the 72.5g load, **** wind! The vertical on both are decent. Not really a great day to test, but I think I'm going to just go ahead with the 72g load. It's been fairly consistent last 3 morning and has been putting 2 very close to each other every time out.
Screenshot_20200724-075924_Snapchat.jpg
20200723_065333.jpg

A lot of guys just don't realize how far 1000 yds REALLY is......
I laugh every year when a local yokel comes around bragging about his 500 yd kill. I keep a Leica LRF at my office so he can go out back in the sage and show me how far it was and how far 500 yds really is....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.