Mixing small lots of powder?

Did they switch the "years on the canister" all the time it was being made...doubtful...
One might have been made in 59th year..other in the 60th...

Why not just load the cartrages until one powder is gone then switch to the other. Then put a note in your cartrage case on which is which.. That would solve your problems. If you are going to practice any way test and see if there is a difference in the 2 powders. If I was worried this is what I would do.

Why not just load the cartrages until one powder is gone then switch to the other. Then put a note in your cartrage case on which is which.. That would solve your problems. If you are going to practice any way test and see if there is a difference in the 2 powders. If I was worried this is what I would do.
He doesnt have enough in one lot to load the 60 rounds he needs so hes obviously afraid the 2 lots will shoot differently in his match. I wouldnt chance it either.
So hence mix them together and run a short test.

He said he was going to practice before the match. If tried both powders during practice he would have his answer and know if there is a difference. That is also why I said to put a note in his cartrage case so he would know what was what. A few shots of each powder at a longer distance would reveal any differences.

My theory is that there is really no such thing as H1000 or H4198 or whatever -- the powder manufacturer just blends powders until he gets the burn rate/specific energy that defines H1000. So the manufacturer has already tried to match the properties of what the define as H1000.

So I mix powders. In truth, I don't have to very often, as I tend to use a jug before opening a new one. But if I have a little left over, I pour it into the new jug and mix it in.

That's my theory and practice. I am not recommending anyone else do it, but that's how I do.

I have a 1100 grains of H1000 in one can, and 3400 grains in another. Which will load roughly 60 shells at 72.5g from my 7-300 win mag. I need to load a batch of 50 shells up. What say you about putting it in a bowl and mixing it all together? Yay or nay? I worked up a super accurate load with the one can that had little over 1/2#...I have a 1000 yard shoot saturday and need to load up 50 shells, so that lies my dilemma. I am going to hit the range at least once, if not twice to see what it's going to do before I head out saturday to the 1K shoot. I need to start buying 8# kegs of this $hitt...I realize I'll probably have to fine tune a couple few tenths of a grain here or there, that's why I'm going to hit the range a couple times before I head out. Just wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts anyway.
I've always mixed same powders. Never had a problem. I've been reloading for over 45 years.

I have a 1100 grains of H1000 in one can, and 3400 grains in another. Which will load roughly 60 shells at 72.5g from my 7-300 win mag. I need to load a batch of 50 shells up. What say you about putting it in a bowl and mixing it all together? Yay or nay? I worked up a super accurate load with the one can that had little over 1/2#...I have a 1000 yard shoot saturday and need to load up 50 shells, so that lies my dilemma. I am going to hit the range at least once, if not twice to see what it's going to do before I head out saturday to the 1K shoot. I need to start buying 8# kegs of this $hitt...I realize I'll probably have to fine tune a couple few tenths of a grain here or there, that's why I'm going to hit the range a couple times before I head out. Just wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts anyway.
Mix em! Waste not want not!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.