Mixing different lots of powder?

Supertrucker

I've got an open half pound of RL22, a one pounder and a five pounder all with different lot numbers. I've heard that each lot can differ a bit.

Can I just mix my canisters together?

I remember that debate, it was a good one. Some mix and some do not. The reason to not mix, short answer: You can not completely mix the powders and thus will not have consistency through out the mixed powder.

I believe the over riding thought of the day is, be careful.

Steve

Personally, if in your situation, I would simply leave the unopened ones alone until I finished the others. If all are opened, I still believe that I would use them as is, simply due to consistancy.

I have in the past and will probably in the future blend some of a one pound jug into another partial one pounder. I doubt I would ever blend more than that amount. When I do mix, it is plenty thorough, and I generally see nothing adverse about it.

As mentioned be careful and if you mix the whole batch, make sure you work back up to max charges.

Let's say you get down to a small amout of powder, less than a 'working amount' in the one container. Then we take this small amount & mix it into a new container of the same labeled powder. That little bit mixed in will be a very small % of the new container. In my reasoning not enough to change anything in a meaningful way. I guess we could throw it on the flowers, but us reloaders don't like to waste.

I probably have a "cave man's mentality", but I mix same label powders on occasion. If the powder of choice isn't consistant enough to mix lots I don't want the stuff. Any time I get to the last dregs of powder in a bottle or can I put it in the new one. I once put a pound (unopened) and another opened partial /1/2 # bottle in with a new 8# H4895 and couldn't see any difference in performance what-so-ever. I mentioned this on another board and some of the well meaning souls that responded were afraid I had created a real witches brew, but I refuse to live in fear of anything that doesn't have canine fangs and large claws. But thats just me.

"I've heard that each lot can differ a bit. Can I just mix my canisters together?"

It can, and usually does, vary a bit. Mixing only reduces any difference between the lots, moderating any lot to lot variation. Do it.

This is in no way advice but if it where me and I had the amounts of R22 you mentioned they would get mixed very well into one lot. R22 is the powder that taught me to start low and work up...even when you are just switching lots or primers!! That slow lot many years ago sure shot great but man what an eye opener when I bought new powder
scared.gif

:DBeen doing it for 20 years with 20 different typres of powders. As the previous poster said, I believe if variations exist it probably mellows them considerably. Probably not a good idea if you are running loads at or over max.........YMMV.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.