"Bucketing" or mixing powder from different lots. What say yee?

cdherman

I noted in another thread that one user reports mixing powder from two different LOTS (not kinds) so as to improve consistency. I've been thinking of doing this for some time, as I just never got a full 8# jug of H4350, but I shoot it in enough different guns that I have 5 single pounders from various sources.

So to clarify: I would like all 5 lbs to be the same, much as you would get from a large jug of one lot or 5 cans from one lot. Mixing them all together is called "bucketing" by painters, and that is always a good idea to avoid slight color variations in the paint. Mixing 5 lbs of powder should result in the powder being consistent over the whole 5# so that I don' t have to worry about lot to lot variation.

I cannot see any downside except that I would have to label the cans as "mixed lots" and if there were ever a recall, I'd be screwed. And of course, I could not sell any in good conscience. But that's not happening anyhow.....

Yep, I do it with every single powder I buy.
If I can only get 5-8 1lb bottles, I mix the lot regardless of batch #.
Then I return a pound to each bottle and seal them up again.
I once did 5lbs of H4350, only to discover while weighing it out that there was an extra half pound, so each bottle must have had more than exactly one pound each...bonus!

Cheers.

Waste of time for me. For bench rest maybe but first I would have to prove to myself there was a need for it. After 47 years of loading ammunition I have not seen the need for it at all. I am not saying anyone is a dummy for doing it, rather, it's just something you won't find me spending my time on

Waste of time for me. For bench rest maybe but first I would have to prove to myself there was a need for it. After 47 years of loading ammunition I have not seen the need for it at all. I am not saying anyone is a dummy for doing it, rather, it's just something you won't find me spending my time on
I have lots of h1000 and retumbo that swing on the pressure lot to lot. Kinda frustrating

Waste of time for me.
Anything that improves consistency is worthwhile to me in my reloading. Lot of small things can make a difference thats quite noticeable. I do however believe that the firearm would have to shoot tight enough groups to see the difference and you would have to want that type of accuracy in your load work. Sometimes differences from lot to lot of powder's can be very noticeable.

My only suggestion would be to check the manufacturers website for recalls, if there are any for a given lot number, you could render it inert and not affect the remaining powder.

I noted in another thread that one user reports mixing powder from two different LOTS (not kinds) so as to improve consistency. I've been thinking of doing this for some time, as I just never got a full 8# jug of H4350, but I shoot it in enough different guns that I have 5 single pounders from various sources.

So to clarify: I would like all 5 lbs to be the same, much as you would get from a large jug of one lot or 5 cans from one lot. Mixing them all together is called "bucketing" by painters, and that is always a good idea to avoid slight color variations in the paint. Mixing 5 lbs of powder should result in the powder being consistent over the whole 5# so that I don' t have to worry about lot to lot variation.

I cannot see any downside except that I would have to label the cans as "mixed lots" and if there were ever a recall, I'd be screwed. And of course, I could not sell any in good conscience. But that's not happening anyhow.....
It is a fairly common practice I've done it myself so have many others nothing wrong with it at all once it is mixed then you work up a load with that lot and results are specific to that mixture of powder

I do it all the time. Keeps from having to re-work loads due to variations in lot to lot. Some powders are more inconsistant than others lot to lot. Why wonder? If I get 3-5 one pounders, put all in clean bucket, stir up by hand and mix thorougly, then pour back in 1 lb. bottles and label/date. I fill bottles to top to exclude air. End up with several full and one partial bottle. Work out of partial bottle first.

then pour back in 1 lb. bottles and label/date. I fill bottles to top to exclude air. .
That's actually an interesting tip. Would make for a bit more space in my powder cabinet too. And I assume less oxygen in the can means less degradation, all things being equal.

Someone mentioned "seal them back up". That's also a consideration., I mean, opening a sealed can is less than perfect. But I find the sticky tops on Hogedon powders "re-stick" to a certain point. And the plan is to burn this powder in next 5 years anyhow.....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts