Mill rad?

I agree but I also like to be able to easily calculate between clicks and mils for circumstances that I don't want to take my eyes off the animal. It is a simple decimal point move. That is why I went to mils. If shooting targets only I would agree that you may as well just look at the mils on the turret.

So watching an animal and counting 23 or more clicks seems like a better way? If you are behind your rifle then it's a split second look up with the eye. You can turn most of the way there by feel. What happens if you start counting and then he moves and you move to follow and then go "oh was I at 15 clicks or 18?" Counting clicks is a recipe for failure.

Whatever works for you my man. If an animal is at 600 yds in thick cover I keep my eye on them and count clicks rather than possibly having to find the animal. If that's not what works for you that's cool.

How many mills at 500 yards? I purchased a March 2.5-25X52 a few months ago. Yesterday I opened the box and realized it has mill instead of MOA on the turrets.
Rich, How many mils for what, need to put it to some cal. one mil at one hundred is about 3.60 inches, so times 5 is around 18" , is that what your asking about. I would never go back to MOA, shot with mils since Viet Nam. works so much easier, and finer adjustments.

If my load requires 8 moa at 500 yds, how many clicks on my mill scope would it require?
Remember that one MOA is 1 inch at 100 yds. so 1 MOA at 500 yds is = to 5inches, not anything to do with bullet drop. 8 MOA at one hundred yds. is then close to 8", but at 500 yds, that is 8x5 or about 40" inches, so in mils you would need 40" dived by 3.6 would equal 11.1 mils, or look at it this way, 3.6 mils times 11.1 = 39.96 inches, Hope you understand what I am talking about. Does your mils scope have 1/10 marks, so turn it to 11 mils, then .1 . Remember that as your bullet leaves the barrel it's gong level, but the scope is on a angel upward, so the farther you go the more it moves away from your bullseye. If you try it you'll see it's much easier to use once you get use to it, with this you have the option to move the crosshairs a very small amount , like . 5 mils is 1.8 inches, and .36 inches = 1.08inches, 1/10 of a mil = .36 inches, Any question let me know. Try it and see how your 11.1 mil works out at 500, you'll get it. Everything by tenths, Sure like to know how close you are at 500 after you dial it in. once you get your yardages and mils, make little note on your lenses cap starting at 300 or 400 yds. then it's easy to adjust from there.

Last edited:
Remember that one MOA is 1 inch at 100 yds. so 1 MOA at 500 yds is = to 5inches, not anything to do with bullet drop. 8 MOA at one hundred yds. is then close to 8", but at 500 yds, that is 8x5 or about 40" inches, so in mils you would need 40" dived by 3.6 would equal 11.1 mils, or look at it this way, 3.6 mils times 11.1 = 39.96 inches, Hope you understand what I am talking about. Does your mils scope have 1/10 marks, so turn it to 11 mils, then .1 . Remember that as your bullet leaves the barrel it's gong level, but the scope is on a angel upward, so the farther you go the more it moves away from your bullseye. If you try it you'll see it's much easier to use once you get use to it, with this you have the option to move the crosshairs a very small amount , like . 3 mils is 1.8 inches, or .36 inches per 1/10 of a mil. Any question let me know. Try it and see how your 11.1 mil works out at 500, you'll get it. Everything by tenths, Sure like to know how close you are at 500 after you dial it in.

8 moa is not 11.1 mils! That is how bringing linear in makes mistakes. 1 mil is 3.43 moa so divide 8 by 3.43 to get 2.33 or 2.3 mils. Simple. No linear.

Rich, How many mils for what, need to put it to some cal. one mil at one hundred is about 3.60 inches, so times 5 is around 18" , is that what your asking about. I would never go back to MOA, shot with mils since Viet Nam. works so much easier, and finer adjustments.

By reading these answers I figure I will learn clicks to get on target.

Recent Posts