Mill rad?

Get the free version of strelok and try it out. Punch in your data and then yardage and it'll tell you what you need in moa, mils, inches, and clicks. You can turn off the units you're not using so you don't accidentally use the wrong one.

How many mills at 500 yards? I purchased a March 2.5-25X52 a few months ago. Yesterday I opened the box and realized it has mill instead of MOA on the turrets.
I think rich just wanted to stir some of y'all up with this.

Some breakdown for the OP (I didn't read pages 2 or 3):
A circle is commonly known to be broken into 360 degrees. Each degree into 60 minutes and each minute into an even smaller unit (seconds). A circle is also broken into 2pi (that is two times pi) radians. Pi is the ratio of circumference to diameter from 10th grade geometry: C=pi x D or C/D = pi. And true to metric measurements, each radian can be divided by a factor of 10, 100, 1000, etc. So a half circle, as we have been taught, is 180 degrees. Same half circle is pi radians, or loosely 3.14 radians.
As soon as you can see that conversions back and forth are a difficult thing to do, the sooner you can learn the radian measurement system and your new scope. Abandon moa totally with that scope and you will have only one simple option: radians (or milliradians - mils).
If you zero at your normal distance and then shoot at a longer distance (usually common increments of 100, either yards or meters) and record your data (in clicks), you will find you have no calculations to do. And from range trip to range trip, shoot to shoot, that data will prove accurate or that it needs adjustments based on conditions, but you still won't have any conversions because your thought process will be based in the click value of your new scope. And that will be reinforced by the reticle. And you won't think of minutes of angle any more. Problem solved. Until you pick up another moa scope.

I always found that it was easier for me (If I were using a linear representation for drop) to think in terms of centimeters of measurement instead of inches when using Mil scopes. 1 Mil would be 10cm at 100 meters so a click (1/10 Mil) would be 1cm at 100m (I know we almost always think in yards), but if you are talking short-mid (sub 500 yd) distances I think it is fair to say that you can substitute 1 click = 1cm per 100 yards knowing there is only about a 10% variance 100yd vs 100m. That means you would only be off by 5cm or 2 inches at 500 yards (plus your group size variation) if you use this mode of thinking, which is likely accurate enough for hunting. But I agree with @bengineer, why not just build a drop chart for that rifle/cartridge noting "clicks" and ignore the linear measurement all together. The nice thing about Mil scopes is that typically they are 1/10 Mil clicks so if your chart says 23 clicks that is 2.3Mil on your turret. If you are using your reticle to range, however, you would be better off thinking in terms of cm/meters if you are doing math in your head. All that being said, I have moved completely to MOA scopes these days since they make just about every scope in a MOA version now.

Nothing should be in clicks or linear. Run data in the graduation you use. Either moa or mils. That way when it says 2.3 mils you dial on 2.3 mils. Not figure how many clicks to mils. When this subject comes up people make it so much harder than it needs to be bringing linear and clicks into it.

It will move it .1 mil too and seeing as the scope adjusts in mils the linear is useless. Lol

The only difference is the vertical measurement if you are just getting in the ballpark.. MOA 1/4 click = 1/4 inch at 100 yards- MIL 1/10 click or about 3/8" inch. one mil is basically 36" at 1000 yards MOA= 10". the math is the same ie MOA @ 500 = 5"; MIL @ 500 =18"

Nothing should be in clicks or linear. Run data in the graduation you use. Either moa or mils. That way when it says 2.3 mils you dial on 2.3 mils. Not figure how many clicks to mils. When this subject comes up people make it so much harder than it needs to be bringing linear and clicks into it.
I agree but I also like to be able to easily calculate between clicks and mils for circumstances that I don't want to take my eyes off the animal. It is a simple decimal point move. That is why I went to mils. If shooting targets only I would agree that you may as well just look at the mils on the turret.

Recent Posts