Might join the PRS / NRL22 group. Need help

I just started shooting PRS22 and NRL22 in the PA/WV/OH area this year. I haven't shot a centerfire match yet. Still building my 6.5x47. So I can't speak for the centerfire matches but the rimfire matches have been great. Everyone has been super helpful weather it's giving pointers on how to shoot a stage or loaning gear.

Try and get with someone experienced shooting PRS to help you get ready. YouTube is also full of new shooter PRS vids. Being safe and having fun is your goal. You will learn a ton at your 1st few matches. Watch and learn. Ask questions, but not when they are getting ready to shoot :)

Since you only have 100y you may need to true your dope on your 1st few stages. If the club offers a train up before the match, go. They may open the range the day before to zero and confirm dope at distance. Reach out to the MD and explain your situation.

If you don't have one yet, you will need a ballistic solver that lets you true your dope. Garbage in garbage out, so make sure you understand how to use the solver. Something like a kestrel with applied ballistics or Hornady 4DOF is preferred, but if not in the budget get a phone app solver like AB, H/4DOF, or something you're comfortable with. Once your dope is trued (elevation) you'll need the solver to help you plan a wind hold for each target. Wind is the biggest challenge.

You can actually practice shooting stages with only 100y. Example- Set a 1:30 par time and pick 5 targets. Engage each target w/ 2 rounds near too far. Example 2- shoot same 5 targets from 5 different positions. Use paper and dots/shapes 1-3moa in size to simulate steel targets. You can also dry fire with a similar set up to practice efficiently getting into a stable(ish) position. For props to shoot off of you can use tires, a barrel, post, step ladder, etc. You can practice getting into position on a step ladder in your garage or back yard. You'll need at least one bag to shoot off of. A schmedium waxed canvas sand filled game changer is probably the most popular / most versitle bag. You'll need a small backpack to carry your gear/ammo/snacks.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I got into PRS/NRL22 when it was first gaining popularity back in the 2016 time frame. My buddy and I had shot various long range precision shooting venues for several years(ie.vintage sniper, egg shoots, Silhouette, etc.), At the time, well over 80% of the PRS match participants were new to the game and the required equipment was very much in its infancy. Within five years, the sport, equipment, and volume of shooters and cost to participate advanced radically. Both of us dove in hook, line, and sinker and within five years spent several thousands of dollars, in equipment, ammo, barrels, and shooting practice. We were fortunate to have a 1000 yard range/club with an hours drive of our home.
If you are dead serious about diving in and going the distance into this sport..BE PREPARED! Most Clubs/Shoots have either provisions at a match to accommodate new shooters by matching them up with another shooter, a designated beginners squad at the match, or actually have a periodic "Beginners Orientation Program.
I absolutely don't want to discourage you about jumping into this great sport, but my recommendation would be to study the countless U-Tube videos on the topic that discuss the bare minimum of equipment and knowledge, required to get started, and consider either first, attending a match, or getting into one of the aforementioned starters programs.
Some photos from my earlier days shooting(5-10 years ago) . Now in my 70's, my matches are much fewer and farther between….Those front edge rooftop stages(photo below) get harder as you get on in your years….
IMG_3945.jpegIMG_0628.jpegIMG_2426.jpegIMG_4310.jpeg

Try and get with someone experienced shooting PRS to help you get ready. YouTube is also full of new shooter PRS vids. Being safe and having fun is your goal. You will learn a ton at your 1st few matches. Watch and learn. Ask questions, but not when they are getting ready to shoot :)

Since you only have 100y you may need to true your dope on your 1st few stages. If the club offers a train up before the match, go. They may open the range the day before to zero and confirm dope at distance. Reach out to the MD and explain your situation.

If you don't have one yet, you will need a ballistic solver that lets you true your dope. Garbage in garbage out, so make sure you understand how to use the solver. Something like a kestrel with applied ballistics or Hornady 4DOF is preferred, but if not in the budget get a phone app solver like AB, H/4DOF, or something you're comfortable with. Once your dope is trued (elevation) you'll need the solver to help you plan a wind hold for each target. Wind is the biggest challenge.

You can actually practice shooting stages with only 100y. Example- Set a 1:30 par time and pick 5 targets. Engage each target w/ 2 rounds near too far. Example 2- shoot same 5 targets from 5 different positions. Use paper and dots/shapes 1-3moa in size to simulate steel targets. You can also dry fire with a similar set up to practice efficiently getting into a stable(ish) position. For props to shoot off of you can use tires, a barrel, post, step ladder, etc. You can practice getting into position on a step ladder in your garage or back yard. You'll need at least one bag to shoot off of. A schmedium waxed canvas sand filled game changer is probably the most popular / most versitle bag. You'll need a small backpack to carry your gear/ammo/snacks.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

OP lots of good advice there. Go shoot and have fun your first few matches. Don't worry about shooting fast. As I have told new shooters for years one slow hit is better than 10 fast misses. 😉

As for your number, you don't need to join PRS or NRL to shoot the matches. Just leave it blank in practiscore. My number is 48. Been shooting these matches before there was a "PRS" and actually used to shoot them in TX with the guys who started the PRS. Been shooting them 21 years now and it's a lot of fun. Biggest thing is safety. Be safe.

Anyone who knows what a PRS Member Number is.
You can shoot PRS matches without a PRS number. Once you are addicted you can go pay to have your scores recorded and count towards the finale and things like that. I shot PRS without paying for a long time but as I progressed I decided to get more serious. I am no pro or even close but competitive enough to maybe win something one day. Also the 100+ question, as many people have stated good data entered into a good ballistics calculator with help tremendously. Also as stated there is no sport in the world that has more people that will help you as a beginner and even a decent shooter. I always encourage people to use my gear especially if they are new. Bags, bipod, tripod, anything that might help someone not hate coming to their first match. Hope this helps. Enjoy and good luck!

It's definitely better to go in with good dope, but if you have a chronograph you can get pretty close with an untuned ballistic calculator on your phone. Most folks aren't using a drop chart, they either use a kestrel or one of the many ballistic calculator apps out there. They all need to be tuned with some actual long range data which you'd be missing.

Definitely just go shoot and let your squad know you're new. They'll help you out with tips, equipment, whatever they can do to help.

Don't worry about getting all your shots off. You'll probably time out on several stages at your first match. It's better to make 5 good shots than drop 10.

I'd probably stay away from qualifiers for your first couple matches. They're generally tougher and much bigger than normal regional matches, and just aren't as conducive to first time shooters in my opinion.

If you really get into it try to avoid falling into the gear race. I've seen a lot of shooters quickly spend thousands of dollars on bags, bipods, and other support equipment, then slowly taper back down to just a couple pieces. A decent bipod like an Atlas or Harris with some upgrades and a couple bags is all you really need.

Any rimfire shoots in the Midwest?
Yup. Look on the NRL, PRS and MARS sites and you can find matches all over the country. Here is the Great lakes region.

I am shooting a lot of PRS and PRS22 in the south. Have fun. For data, get an app like the AB or Hornady 4DOF. Need a solid 100 yard zero. Most matches have a tuneup day on Friday.