Grouping help needed

Hey Snowbird, you have text on the picture that says 200 yards. But in the post you described your standard results for 100 yard shooting of the rifle. A 1.5 inch spread at 100 yards can very well be a 3 inch spread at 200 yards. It seems like the rifle is shooting about the same to me?

When you say "cold bore", do you also mean "clean bore"? Do you clean the copper from your barrel every time you go shooting? Some barrels shoot more consistent "cold bore" if you leave some copper fouling in there and do not clean every outing.

I still think you have a few options to try to increase accuracy that are reasonable in cost.

Hey Snowbird, you have text on the picture that says 200 yards. But in the post you described your standard results for 100 yard shooting of the rifle. A 1.5 inch spread at 100 yards can very well be a 3 inch spread at 200 yards. It seems like the rifle is shooting about the same to me?

When you say "cold bore", do you also mean "clean bore"? Do you clean the copper from your barrel every time you go shooting? Some barrels shoot more consistent "cold bore" if you leave some copper fouling in there and do not clean every outing.

I still think you have a few options to try to increase accuracy that are reasonable in cost.

yes, cold bore is just my first shot. i no longer clean my rifles every trip to the range. i rarely shoot more than 20 rounds per trip, so about every 4 trips i run some frog lube through for powder fouling. if i can't do that, then i'll at least bore snake it.

i was on the 200 yard range today but that was due to overcrowding on the 100. my other range that i shoot 100 paper and steel to 800 was closed due to fire.

as far as the group size goes, i feel the group is plenty acceptable minus shots 1 and 3. i can even handle shot 3 but i want shot 1 to be the same poi as shot 2. #1 really surprised me but it was the first shot out of the new stock. i wondered if the rifle could have been seating itself somehow. i will bed the stock as you suggested but have been reluctant to do so because of both the strange recoil lug and i wanted to shoot if first to see if it was worth keeping. i have seen some contact near the end of the stock with the barrel, so that may have been my initial vertical string.

i still can help but think i should have grabbed a boyds stock with the adjustable comb. my savages that have boyds stocks from the factory are real precise shooters.

sorry, i didn't fully address this question last post. yes, it is on par with my previous results. since i did not measure, i focused in on the 4 shots that were tight and held on to the hope of my groups shrinking. maybe it's time to call it good enough for shots out to 300 yards with this rifle and deal with the weight of my other rifles for longer shots. i have a 300 wby and a 270 win that are good shooters. i just hate switching rifles so late in the game. i have an antelope hunt in 4 weeks and have been very busy with work and home repairs. they have kept me from archery hunting this week and next.

i appreciate all the help i've had from the LRH members with this issue. thank you all.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.