Might give Superformance another chance...your thoughts?

Calvin45

Hey all, I had erratic experiences with h superformance a few years ago but cannot ignore the numbers and what's supposedly possible with this largely ignored powder. I learned a few things - it's slower than the burn rate charts say it is, and as you all probably know, ball powder likes to fill the case. I'm thinking about giving it one last chance. Any loads with high velocity and low es out there in your experiences? I'd be trying it in a .243, 270, and .300 win mag. All cartridges and their experiences most welcome! Talk to me

I use superperformace in 22 in. 243 with 100 gr. BTSP M.V. 2985. Like how the powder meters and would try in different cartridges and bullet weights but just can't find much readily available load info on that powder.

I just picked up a few boxes for a .308 Tikka TSR-1. 150g and 165g I think. I'm hoping to gain back some velocity lost to the 20" barrel. I hadn't heard about the erratic thing, but I've had so much luck with the American Whitetails I figured I'd give them a whirl. As soon as the gun is broken in I'll send them down the pipe and see if it likes them. (Sorry, just noticed this is the reloading forum. Carry on!)

Does anyone know if Hornaday is using Superperformace powder in their Superperformace line of loaded ammunition? I don't think so but not sure. Hornaday gets some nice velocities in that line of ammo.

Does anyone know if Hornaday is using Superperformace powder in their Superperformace line of loaded ammunition? I don't think so but not sure. Hornaday gets some nice velocities in that line of ammo.
They use it but its specially blended for each load, absolutely nothing like you buy off of the shelf

I just picked up a few boxes for a .308 Tikka TSR-1. 150g and 165g I think. I'm hoping to gain back some velocity lost to the 20" barrel. I hadn't heard about the erratic thing, but I've had so much luck with the American Whitetails I figured I'd give them a whirl. As soon as the gun is broken in I'll send them down the pipe and see if it likes them. (Sorry, just noticed this is the reloading forum. Carry on!)
In case I hadn't clarified I'm talking about the powder available to reloaders and not the loaded ammunition. The superformance line of ammo does not utilize the same powder for all cartridges and loads. Good luck

The literature surrounding the powder sees its manufacturers admit themselves its finicky in a way...there's a narrow range in which it works well but "when it works it really works". I never found that spot. The data on the jug did not match my experience at all, the had a load for .243 with 75 vmax and that load was waaaay slower than listed and sooty necks hence my conclusion that it is slower burning than advertised. More appropriate with 100 grain which I tried and got great velocity but with an es around 100 FPS!

Only round I've had chance to try in is 6.5 Creed. Was using 45.0 gr. with a 143 ELDX. Was accurate and low es and sd. Was in a Tikka . Velocity was higher than other powders except Hybrid 100 which was basically the same

I've used it in 224 Valkyrie and it was just OK accuracy wise. I've been playing with It in my two 6mm Remington rifles, and again ok accuracy. The higher velocities may not be worth the higher S.D's.

I use it in a couple of 260 Remingtons with 125 Partitions and 130 Berger VLDH, 130 Accubonds, and 130 HPBT Gamekings. It is amazing in that weight range and velocity, ES, and Accuracy is fantastic. I have tried it in the 270 and 243 and didn't have the same luck. Velocity in those is high, but ES and accuracy were middle of the road compared to better loads in the log.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.