Your thoughts again

I have a few carbon six barrels, they are great. How many rounds you got down the barrel? I found that I need about 50 or so to get the barrel to settle in. Then I run the ladder with formed brass, I feel like it's more consistent on belted magnums with formed brass. I like H1000 in my 300 win.

h1000 , should serve ya well ... this is something else ,

before anything id verify your parallax, if you haven't adj scope since your range session ,( dont adj anything ) see if you can get some wobble on that reticle ... easy oversight when you're frustrated with groups

clean bore ,

maybe take the can off ?? , did carbon 6 thread it ???

do another pressure test to copy your last results , see how they compare to your last set ( to get all your brass swollen to chamber size and break in barrel some more )

to verify this is a 300 winchester magnum , most data say compressed load after 79< ...

OP 300win chart.JPG

Last edited:
I have a 1:9 twist 300 Winnie that won't shoot worth a darn with anything over 180-190gr. Have you shot other heavy bullets through this barrel. Results? My barrel is a Rem 700 factory stainless, but customized/accurrized barrel. Just what I've experienced with the 300 Winnie.

Try seating them deeper. Don't run them so close to the lands. I've gone through this numerous times, and more times than once seating them deeper helps ten fold. I run some of these Hybrid Bergers in differ calibers as much as .070 off with better accuracy, MV and no pressure signs than running them close. Just my experience. My experience shows these Hybrid Ogive type bullets like to jump.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, the Berger 205's seem fairly indifferent to seating depth in my 300WM. I have tested from 10 off all the way to 80 off and get about the same results - with 30 off seeming to be about the best groups.

it can be dang frustrating and expensive trying to!
Yep this is the truth! I have slowly gotten better about letting a combination go if it does not provide good initial results. I usually can tell if my gun, powder, bullet combo will like a load based on the pressure test.

Oddly enough, the Berger 205's seem fairly indifferent to seating depth in my 300WM. I have tested from 10 off all the way to 80 off and get about the same results - with 30 off seeming to be about the best groups.

Yep this is the truth! I have slowly gotten better about letting a combination go if it does not provide good initial results. I usually can tell if my gun, powder, bullet combo will like a load based on the pressure test.
Agree, I just had pressure issues most of the time running them closer.

Ok I have some news. I took the action off the stock and there was a chunk of black substance crushed under where the front action screw goes. I think when I checked the Torque on the action it was torquing down on that chunk then when I was shooting it crushed down and loosened up. I picked it up from the smiths like that so it must have been a chunk of something off his bench. Shooting an under an inch now. Now I can proceed with load development. Nice to have some closure lol
Thank you everyone for the help!

Recent Posts