Memory Loss

I don't think it's memory loss, it's being complacent and you do these things mindlessly, because we are multitasking our way thru our days.

Think about it the next time you go to the sporting goods store or hardware store, when you hit the door to the house, try to recall the trip visually, sometimes it's extremely hard to do or completely impossible.

Before Ashley passed away, she would ask me to do something and I would do it, but days later I would remember she asked and go to do it only to find it completed. We are creatures of habit and we generally go thru life on cruise control.

If you want an interesting read, read up on how many times your eyes just go dark while still processing information. I had an ophthalmologist tell me that the eye only sees a fraction of what the brain actually processes. He claimed you were "blind" about as much as you were acute.

Until you have dealt with someone who has Alzheimer's or dementia, simple memory loss is a cake walk.

My uncle had full blown Alzheimer's, he could not remember my aunt, my cousin or his granddaughters, but he could discuss at nauseum past duck or deer hunts we had been on, fishing trips and some people he worked with. The mind is a truly vast expanse of unexplored territory, we only know a fraction of what it is capable of.
I think of my mind like it is a computer. I can store all sorts of information and it is there, just can't find the right pathway to access it!
Thanks for the read and sorry about your uncle.

Have been known for my memory since I was a child, I call it my perfectly useless memory. Perfect for all the useless stuff in life, like the water capacity of most cartridges or the price of sockeye in 1997... was a funny parlor trick. About 3 years ago I developed what they call seizure like episodes that were pretty bad. I remember before December of 19 as clear as always, and most of fall 21 till now. But there is 18 months that are blank, some bits and pieces but honestly it is like remembering an old movie you watched as a kid. Guess it wasn't bad years to forget, but they were pretty taxing on the wife. Weirdest part is seeing pictures and not remembering, did some wild stuff those years and have the proof of it just can't remember.

Definitely remember being stuffed in all manner of tubes and tests and waiting rooms... and enough medical bills to have aps build me one of each.... gave me an appreciation for folks dealing with dementia.

Can't spend very much time in those situations without realizing how fortunate it was to have 30 some odd healthy years. Lotta kids who didn't get the luxury of a healthy youth. Makes my several year inconvenience feel positively blessed.

Brain is a funny thing, and it boogers up life when it short circuits.

My father passed about 95 - mom passed about 92 a few years before him. Father had dementia last 5 years or so and his official cause of death was listed as dementia. It is a horrible thing to watch. After my mother passed we made him come live with us but eventually we had to put him a full time memory care facility as he would get up at all times of the night and wander - he almost wandered out of house but a butterfly lock on the door was too confusing to open.

Scariest thing was that there were people in that memory care facility in their 40s and 50s! You assume it is the elderly in their 80s+ but it can strike early.

Insurance and medicare do not cover memory care facilities - fortunately he had savings. Eventually the patient runs out of money and then Medicaid, etc. steps in and they may become "wards of the state".

I think of my mind like it is a computer. I can store all sorts of information and it is there, just can't find the right pathway to access it!
Thanks for the read and sorry about your uncle.
I too suffer from memory loss and I think Darryle hit the nail on the head.
I am guilty of living on autopilot.
I'm now using an exercise bike to get the blood pumping. It has seemed to help. I also make to do lists to keep my thoughts focused.
Mom and dad both had dementia before they passed. I feel the isolation of covid did them in.
We all need socialization with each other to stay mentally healthy.

keep yourself well hydrated (most of us don't drink enough water) consistent exercise is good for the brain as well,..
think C19 did something to our brains, my memory isn't what it used to be, lucky if i remember what i had for a meal 2 hours ago 🤔

My wife and I have been dealing with a multitude of health issues with her parents, mostly her Mom and dementia is surly creeping in. She is 83 and still going strong. My wife of 29 years tells me my memory is very selective, she says that I only remember what I want to remember and maybe that's true. Hang in there folks and I pray for all of us. Jason

keep yourself well hydrated (most of us don't drink enough water) consistent exercise is good for the brain as well,..
think C19 did something to our brains, my memory isn't what it used to be, lucky if i remember what i had for a meal 2 hours ago 🤔
That is the same effect it had on me. I will forgot mid sentence what I was talking about and can't recall the name of something simple. It is frustrating at times. For some reason I never forget to eat....darn it

The worst part is that Dementia creeps up on you.It starts slowly by small things and then progresses.
I have had 8 back surgeries but also 2 Traumatic brain injuries.A building fell on my in the 1980's and gave me a serious brain injury and in the 90's a car fell on me when the car lift broke a hydraulic line and pinned my head until help arrived.I was told I would get Dementia early but at 70 I do ok but simple things I forget too.
Keep busy and keep your mind busy.You can go to any browser and type in "mind exercises for Dementia".There will be a lot of websites but focus on medical websites.
Hang in there little brother!

Len, biggest impact upon memory or even "intelligence" is the lack of REM sleep the older you get. It seems we the geriatrics fail to continue consistent sleep habits which results in our dip switches not being reset when we wake up. I know I am definitely more fuzzy on lack of REM sleep.

think C19 did something to our brains
There are studies that prove this is true and can take a long time to get memory back close to before. It's called long Covid and unfortunately I know first hand it happens.
Both in laws had dementia and was very tough on the wife. Medication helped her father for a while.
As others mentioned you should probably be checked by a doctor if your wife thinks you should. You know that they are always right! lol

Len, biggest impact upon memory or even "intelligence" is the lack of REM sleep the older you get. It seems we the geriatrics fail to continue consistent sleep habits which results in our dip switches not being reset when we wake up. I know I am definitely more fuzzy on lack of REM sleep.
Craig
I never sleep anymore. Oreo our outside cat wants out at 0230 every morning and sticks his wet nose in my eye socket to get me up. I hate wearing my Cpac and at 0530 Cassie grabs my hand with her wet mouth and wants out. I can set our clocks by our animal's needs.
I know when I go into REM, I have weird dreams.