an old memory

earlcurtis67

On another site I read a post about a H&R 22WMR and it brought up a memory from a hunting trip that I handn't thought of in a long time and it got me thinking. Unless you were brought up around guns, hunting and hunting camp most people wouldn't understand what these kind of memorys mean to us and how they wind up impacting us and those around us.
My memory was of myself and a friends father sitting in an old ground blind passing that H&R back and forth shooting Squirrels. We were supposed to be deer hunting but we hadn't seen anything except a few turkeys and a boat load of these big squirrels. I remember him saying he had somthing for all those critters and since the camp was close he was gonna go back and get that 22 mag and we were gonna have squirrel for dinner.
We spent the rest of that afternoon shooting and later cleaning a large mess of some of the biggest squirrels that I've ever seen. He allways bragged about that day and he never let me forget that he killed more than I did,but then again I made the longest shot, and you can bet I made sure he didn't forget THAT.
I came back to that camp for the next two seasons and he and I allways set aside one day to just go sit in that blind and squirrel hunt. He is gone now but I allways smile when I think about those times with him. He was a good man who taught me alot about deer and turkey hunting and about how to have fun at deer camp. Both of my son's are grown now and out of the house but they are allways willing to go for a walk in the woods with their old man, a 22WMR, and a pocket full of shells
thanks for listening and letting me get that off my chest E

Thank you for bringing me back to reality. I've had a really amazing season with my hunting buddy, we both got bulls and bucks. It's been a great year. When I look back on it, I remember that my friend is the reason for the memories, not just the harvest. I'm taking my own Son out this weekend for some explorations in the woods. He loves spending time with me outside.

Thank you for your story. My first hunt was for squirrels with a good friend of my dads.

Just the other day I was talking with my brother-in-law about our 16 years of hunting elk in Wyoming. So many stories!. One time were headed back to camp and up jumps a snowshoe hare. He had been carrying a stick and he flung it at the rabbit...And hit it right on the head!! I'll never forget that! Oh. The rabbit dinner was tasty the evening!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.