Memory Loss

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
If you get older (or young like me) and start to have Memory Loss it may be part of Dementia.
My question is you can't remember something how is it "Memory Loss" if there is nothing to remember?
Jill has been not really giving me a hard time about things but tells me that I did things and don't agree with her that I did or didn't do them.
Is that just because we have been married so long that I finally get up the nerve to disagree ---OR am I losing my memory?

I can't really say for your circumstance but we are currently dealing with my Grandmother who has dementia that has steadily progressed over the past few years. One of the initial signs that we noticed was her telling stories like she was there but we knew for a fact she wasn't and had only heard about them second hand. It's like she can remember bits and pieces of things and then simply fills them in with whatever comes to mind at the time.

It's to the point now that while she still has some of her long term memory, she remembers all of her family and even my fiancé who came around after her symptoms started, her short term memory is highly affected at this point and she constantly asks the same questions over again every few minutes as she forgot we discussed it.

Additionally emotions tend to be more pervasive than thoughts so if she starts to get in a bad mood she will stay in a bad mood even if she doesn't remember why. I always try to answer her question as enthusiastically the fiftieth time as I did the first because if you get frustrated and mentioned that you already told her something she will start to get a negative attitude that compounds over time.

WOW
Would like to hear about the MALE perspective.
Mostly personal male experiences so I am not getting "Back Blow or he said she said.
Regular guys a lot older that this group. Most of you young guys are not past the line yet.
The 50 group probably knows what I am talking about the 40s and under just listen to your wife husband or significant other.

What is your really FEELINGS to Memory Loss . Some Have it, Some don't

It is for REAL and happening to a lot of us.
Is there a medication, exercise, mental programs?
This is SERIOUS.
I Feel that something is happening to me and i am scared. As most know I have had (have) a few spinal Cord Operations
Say some prayer for me.
Darn We have well over $100K in rifles to build and want to make sure i send then to the right person. Not too much worried about the cartridge because it will shoot lights out so if they get the incorrect rifle they will still be very happy.

It is for REAL and happening to a lot of us. As most know I have had (have) a few spinal Cord Operations
Say some prayer for me.
I share a bunch of those concerns. Prayers for myself have helped. Circle is pretty small so finding my way, building new memories helps.
Cracked my head a few times and surgeries.
I had a good article recently on the negative effects of anesthesia on a persons mind long term. It described me to a tee. I'll try to find it.
My last surgery was in excess of 12 hours, maybe 16. Following a 2+ hour surgery the day before. They weren't allowing family in so lots of uncertainty about all of it. No BP for awhile.
On the other side for a bit, and it's there my friend and I hold onto that memory.
Prayers from concerned folks here pulled me through I believe that.
Live in the present as much as you can. My grandson doesn't care if I don't remember Bugs Bunny Road Runner cartoons from the first time around, its a new memory for both of us.
Best Wishes!

If you get older (or young like me) and start to have Memory Loss it may be part of Dementia.
My question is you can't remember something how is it "Memory Loss" if there is nothing to remember?
Jill has been not really giving me a hard time about things but tells me that I did things and don't agree with her that I did or didn't do them.
Is that just because we have been married so long that I finally get up the nerve to disagree ---OR am I losing my memory?
As we get older, it happens, my memory has been getting much worse over the last year or two! I'm 59

This getting old thing is sometimes difficult to accept. The reality of dealing with health challenges and cognitive decline as we age is tough. Many of us experienced this with family members while still in our prime. Now it is happening to me. I've spent more time in the hospital and doctors offices in the past couple of months than I want to admit. Keep fighting the good fight and be thankful for the good days.

Len,
Just my opinions...
Another perspective could be that you have an enormous amount going on. With your recent surgeries, rebuilding your shop, and life's hurdles in general. I would bet you are not sleeping well, just from pain/serious discomfort. That in itself will affect your daily tasks. For now, as most of us do when we get a little older, write things down and try to get a bit of extra rest when you can. As others have already stated, as we get older, certain things will obviously change to some degree. It is how we adapt to those changes...allowing us to continue caring for the ones we love and striving to enjoy life.
God Bless you and your family!

Last edited:
I actually was so concerned about my memory loss that I asked my doctor test me. His first comment was that if I was sane enough to ask for a test I probably was just experiencing normal memory loss.

Passed test. But my sister remembers parts of our childhood far different than I remember them. I don't argue with her about them,but I believe I'm right,but who knows for certain.

70 is closing in on me fast and she's 4 years my senior. There's no one left to verify who is right.

I don't think it's memory loss, it's being complacent and you do these things mindlessly, because we are multitasking our way thru our days.

Think about it the next time you go to the sporting goods store or hardware store, when you hit the door to the house, try to recall the trip visually, sometimes it's extremely hard to do or completely impossible.

Before Ashley passed away, she would ask me to do something and I would do it, but days later I would remember she asked and go to do it only to find it completed. We are creatures of habit and we generally go thru life on cruise control.

If you want an interesting read, read up on how many times your eyes just go dark while still processing information. I had an ophthalmologist tell me that the eye only sees a fraction of what the brain actually processes. He claimed you were "blind" about as much as you were acute.

Until you have dealt with someone who has Alzheimer's or dementia, simple memory loss is a cake walk.

My uncle had full blown Alzheimer's, he could not remember my aunt, my cousin or his granddaughters, but he could discuss at nauseum past duck or deer hunts we had been on, fishing trips and some people he worked with. The mind is a truly vast expanse of unexplored territory, we only know a fraction of what it is capable of.

I'm not sure that you can see my post so I'll pm you. I have been caring for a parent with dementia for ten years now. Dementia is a general term and can be different from person to person. It's not something to be put off or ignored. It's something that needs to be evaluted by a qualified neurologist. And I'd trust your wife or loved one, for they have your best interests at heart. Have it properly diagnosed. Then you'll know for sure if action is needed. Or that it's nothing to deal with now. Prayers and best wishes for you.

I'll say this too. I've watched one person died in a few years after being diagnosed with Parkinson's and dementia. My parent is slowing down more, but most have trouble seeing the dementia. Unfortunately a recent ICU stay has made the disease progress faster. But my parent is still active. The big thing is to stay active physically and mentally, but reduce stress. Stress is the killer. You can help memory with some mental exercises or even just talking to people (friends and family). So get diagnosed, follow treatment, spend good quality time with friends and family, and enjoy life. Okay I'll get off my soapbox.