Memory Loss

@Coyote Shadow Tracker,
Man, sometimes, we get so much going on, that we don't really know what the heck were doing, or which direction we are trying to go. Some things become automatic, and then, we try to exert control over that, and ask ourselves, "Did I put out the trash cat recycle can whatever?" And then the confusion sets in, cause we don't really remember. Where are my keys phone wallet? ****.
.We gotta find a way to relax, unwind, recharge. Cause if we don't, well........
I like to read science fiction. Does it help? I don't know. I think so, I'm remembering day to day things better than I did 20 yrs ago. I think it helps . Gotta disconnect a little, to stay connected.

@Coyote Shadow Tracker,
Man, sometimes, we get so much going on, that we don't really know what the heck were doing, or which direction we are trying to go. Some things become automatic, and then, we try to exert control over that, and ask ourselves, "Did I put out the trash cat recycle can whatever?" And then the confusion sets in, cause we don't really remember. Where are my keys phone wallet? ****.
.We gotta find a way to relax, unwind, recharge. Cause if we don't, well........
I like to read science fiction. Does it help? I don't know. I think so, I'm remembering day to day things better than I did 20 yrs ago. I think it helps . Gotta disconnect a little, to stay connected.
It is my "Short Term" like the last 5 minutes that I have issues with.
When I was working 14 hours a day and the rest of the time hunting/fishing/scouting/reloading/Gun Smithing and taking care of the animals then spending time with Jill - I was doing great. Since being disabled, not traveling all over the country and being home alone has taken a toll on my lifestyle. I guess working under pressure and constantly busy kept my mind active.
Too less activity can dimmish brain functions!

There are merits to crossword puzzles, especially those ridiculously hard ones. I remember the first dozen or so, I couldn't complete, but I progressed further with each attempt until one day I completed one. Now I rarely leave one unfinished and have picked up Sudoku. I either print them off the internet or grab a book of them at the store.

The brain is a muscle that needs exercise and interaction just like any other muscle, the one reason so many succumbed to long covid, that loss of interaction and "exercise" took its toll.

Reading and audio books help to occupy my mind, I have really enjoyed obscure history books.

I'm a prolific reader! I jump from twelve century England murder mystery to twenty fifth century syfi. Have over four thousand books in Kindle library. I've found that keeping the brain focused on different tasks helps. Dementia is in my family as well, took my mother in slow motion. Horrible way to pass. But I wouldn't get to concerned about forgetting why you went into the kitchen. Its just a natural part of aging that things distract you easier. Headed to do something and something on TV catches your attention and you forget why you even stood up. Try to chill , you've been through a lot lately. Rely on your wife and friends, that's why you have them. thinking about you! Bill

Not wanting to derail this thread and I don't usually advertise my personal life. But Muddy is 100% correct about the sleep and healing, not just physical but emotional and psychological healing as well.

January the 12th the love of my life passed away suddenly, 5:45am she was giggling about the fact she had 30 more minutes to stay in bed as I kissed her and told her I loved her while on the way out the door to work, 3hrs later she was gone from a possible blood clot that reached her lungs. I have been dealing with that, her 2 children, work and her family, my emotional and psychological tanks are empty. I have resorted to carrying a small note pad and taking notes. I have trouble some days stringing together a logical sentence, remembering if I have eaten, paid bills and sometimes where I am on a project at work.

I have always been able to recall processes from my days in R&D(20yrs ago) and how we overcame obstacles, now I do good to remember what I did a few hours or days ago.

The brain is a very complex organ, but it needs that recharge that we get from deep sleep. My Apple Watch sleep apps haven't shown any meaningful REM or deep sleep in the past 30 days and it's beginning to take its toll.
You would think 35 years in emergency services would help you deal with this, seeing others in pain and loneliness! It doesn't. I've never felt able to say the right phrase or comfort another to feel I was of any help. Only thing I can say is time does heal! But a scar will remain!

Not wanting to derail this thread and I don't usually advertise my personal life. But Muddy is 100% correct about the sleep and healing, not just physical but emotional and psychological healing as well.

January the 12th the love of my life passed away suddenly, 5:45am she was giggling about the fact she had 30 more minutes to stay in bed as I kissed her and told her I loved her while on the way out the door to work, 3hrs later she was gone from a possible blood clot that reached her lungs. I have been dealing with that, her 2 children, work and her family, my emotional and psychological tanks are empty. I have resorted to carrying a small note pad and taking notes. I have trouble some days stringing together a logical sentence, remembering if I have eaten, paid bills and sometimes where I am on a project at work.

I have always been able to recall processes from my days in R&D(20yrs ago) and how we overcame obstacles, now I do good to remember what I did a few hours or days ago.

The brain is a very complex organ, but it needs that recharge that we get from deep sleep. My Apple Watch sleep apps haven't shown any meaningful REM or deep sleep in the past 30 days and it's beginning to take its toll.
Darryl, there are no words to express how we all feel for you. I know you are in a bad place but you know what you have to do which is the first step of healing. I thought I was going to lose my wife few years back and was without sustainable sleep for months traveling to and from hospital and trying to do my job. You just try to make it to next hour next day best you can. I feel for you brother, we all do. Prayers and comfort to you and family.

Sorry to hear this and for your loss. I totally know where you are coming from. I could remember everything about a job done to what color paint we used and now forget what I came to Home Depot for or like others said , what I came in the room for. My doctor has told me I need more quality sleep. He said waking up every 30 minutes and going back to sleep won't help. My mind goes over the next day over and over like a movie on repeat. He has prescribed something to help with shutting the brain off so I can sleep. It is helping some.

Len, look into hyperbaric chambers, there is some chance that it can stop the memory deterioration and some chance that it can also help people to recover some of the loss.