Memorial Day 2023

Can't remember the Patriot that said this, I'm probably quoting it wrong. But from time to time the garden of liberty needs to be watered with the blood of Patriots.
Thomas Jefferson 1787 in letter to John Adams son in law

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Don't forget, it aint only Patriot's blood......gotta have some tyrants blood there too.....🙂

Can't remember the Patriot that said this, I'm probably quoting it wrong. But from time to time the garden of liberty needs to be watered with the blood of Patriots.
"THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS"
Thomas Jefferson's Quote!

My Brothers and Sisters,

On Memorial Day, we honor the sacrifices of fallen service members who put their lives on the line for our nation, for us and for future generations of fellow Americans. These men and women answered the call to serve and defend our country with courage, dedication and selflessness, knowing the risks were great but the cause was greater. This is also a day to recognize and appreciate the veterans who served alongside these courageous souls and offer comfort to the Gold Star Families and friends left behind.

Lest we forget...

View attachment 465570View attachment 465571

We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the millions of veterans …..we literally owe our lives and our freedom to them! memtb

There are two folded flags resting in my home office, one for my father, a WWII and Korean War vet, and another for my oldest brother, a Vietnam vet. As a veteran myself of both the USAF and Army, one day my son will have three flags to display.

Given the family came to America in 1680, we come from a long line of vets beginning in the Revolutionary War until Desert Storm. Thanks to everyone who served this nation.

My Brothers and Sisters,

On Memorial Day, we honor the sacrifices of fallen service members who put their lives on the line for our nation, for us and for future generations of fellow Americans. These men and women answered the call to serve and defend our country with courage, dedication and selflessness, knowing the risks were great but the cause was greater. This is also a day to recognize and appreciate the veterans who served alongside these courageous souls and offer comfort to the Gold Star Families and friends left behind.

Lest we forget...

View attachment 465570View attachment 465571
Amen brother. God bless all.

I notice that Brittany Greiner now stands at the Star Spangled Banner.
Too bad they didnt get Paul Whelan and bring him home, but at least she has learned a very very very small part of a lesson on what it is to be an
American and to be grateful for those whose shoulders we stand upon.

A lot of other younger Americans might benefit from a 2-3 month tour in a Russian or Chinese jail -----just hypothetically. I don't wish this on anyone in reality. I fear though that it may be a future reality for many.
If we had a different president she may still be there and him home. The Russians kidnapp Americans to get one of there's back. Just happened again . I'm not going to get into detail of service and family's service but some have died and lived since WWII. GOD bless all who have serverd and serving an especially those who gave Thier lives for our Country and to keep it's Freedom. God bless the greatest Country on history of earth , no matter who in our government tries to take it down. There's a special place coming for them .

I notice that Brittany Greiner now stands at the Star Spangled Banner.
Too bad they didnt get Paul Whelan and bring him home, but at least she has learned a very very very small part of a lesson on what it is to be an
American and to be grateful for those whose shoulders we stand upon.

A lot of other younger Americans might benefit from a 2-3 month tour in a Russian or Chinese jail -----just hypothetically. I don't wish this on anyone in reality. I fear though that it may be a future reality for many.

When illusion/delusion meets reality.

I've heard taps played many times and it has always choked me up. But when they played it at my dads funeral last year it struck so deep that I cried for a long time. We buried him next to his brother who valiantly died in combat defending his position alone with a medic after the rest of his platoon was killed to keep their position from being overrun. Support arrived just in time to see the enemy overwhelm them but they held the line long enough to keep the enemy from running over the base. I set a flag pole at the head of their graves that I maintain. I sure miss him. Dad was 1st Calvary. Not sure about his brother. Dads brother Cleatus received the Bronze Star and the Silver Star. Dad received nothing. He told me once that "Only dead soldiers got medals, the rest of us got a pat on the back for not dying. " View attachment 465733
My uncle was 1st Air Cav in Vietnam. 👍🏼

I shouldnt forget my wife's uncle Bob. He was hit by German artillery snd spent 4 years in the hospital in the 40s.

He was disabled for life. He lived to 94 but never worked and had a hard time functioning
for 70 years or so. Sacrifice......
He paid too.

My mother's cousin was in the airforce. He was rear tail gunner in a B17 Flying Fortress. His plane was shot down over France. All the men in his plane escaped and parachuted out over France. But his job was to make sure the crew got out before he did. He did not make it. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetary. I have been to his grave. One of the thousands of little white headstones. We stand on the shoulders of giants.
I had an uncle in Battle of the Bulge Germany. Mortar hit next to him. Blew part off his skull off. Metal plate in head. Glass eye. Almost completely deaf. In a coma for 7 months in hospital. Made it out. Slept with a bayonet under his pillow. Would wake up at night with knife to my aunt's throat. She would just talk calmly to him and he'd be ok. I guess you call it PTSD now days. He was a big man. 6'5". Real deep voice. He scared me when I was little. Great man. His brother, the uncle I was named after flew the Hump over Himalayas from India to Burma in a C47 before Japs attacked Pearl Harbor. We we supplying the Chinese who were getting anileated by Japanese. He got shot down coming back to airfield in India. He crash landed plane at airstrip . They had trouble getting him out cause of his size. He died next day in hospital. All we did to help the Chinese and Russians and look at them now. Truman should of listened to MacAurthor and Patton and we wouldn't of had our two major adversaries that we do now...

Last edited:
I've heard taps played many times and it has always choked me up. But when they played it at my dads funeral last year it struck so deep that I cried for a long time. We buried him next to his brother who valiantly died in combat defending his position alone with a medic after the rest of his platoon was killed to keep their position from being overrun. Support arrived just in time to see the enemy overwhelm them but they held the line long enough to keep the enemy from running over the base. I set a flag pole at the head of their graves that I maintain. I sure miss him. Dad was 1st Calvary. Not sure about his brother. Dads brother Cleatus received the Bronze Star and the Silver Star. Dad received nothing. He told me once that "Only dead soldiers got medals, the rest of us got a pat on the back for not dying. " View attachment 465733
A long but good story about 1st Air Cav history. I wonder if they ever crossed paths...?

first-team.us
http://www.first-team.us › chapt_08
1st Cavalry Division History - Vietnam War, 1965 - 1972

My friends dad was in a Marine division that was staged for the first assault on Iwo Jima. Word came to his commanding officers that his father had died. He was given liberty to get back home, then join back with his unit immediately after.
When he got back to report, he found out his entire unit was wiped out in that first assault. He was reassigned and hit the beach and under heavy fighting until the flag was raised there.
The death of his father saved his life. He really didn't convey much about the horrors of that fight.
I remember him often.

A friend at work had 2 sons, one in college to be a doctor, the other went in the Marines. It was 2004, his 22 year old son was in Iraq. He'd been over there and back 2 times, he didn't have to but, he volunteered for a 3rd time.He got shot by a sniper . Very sad couple days working by his Dad, at the yard. Went over to the wake after work one night. They had sent half a dozen Marines, for about a week to stay, with the family, til that kid was laid to rest. Not sure who authorized it but, showed a lot of class by Marine outfit.

Thomas Jefferson 1787 in letter to John Adams son in law

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Don't forget, it aint only Patriot's blood......gotta have some tyrants blood there too.....🙂
Thanks, knew I had it wrong. But the meaning was same!