Memorial Day 2023

My wish would be that any person of WOKE thinking would for a second see what has been sacrificed for their freedom. Maybe, just maybe it would make enough of a difference for them to open their minds to other opinions and learn to respect this country…and put a little god back into it.
We can only hope Sir….

My Dad, Army Airborne Korean War vet, his next oldest brother Navy Korean War vet, My Grandfather Navy Pacific theater WW2 Vet. Father in Law Army Korean War, None of them would say much at all about their experiences. They bore scars both physical and mental. Dad would not watch a war movie. One day my Father in Law before he passed away was here at my home, he and I were setting out on my back deck and out of the blue he started talking about his Army experiences. He told me about it from the day he was sworn in until he made it back to the states, took him about 3 hours or so relate it to me. I just set there and listened, not saying a word. It was almost like he had to get it off his chest and tell someone about it. He never told his wife or children anything about what he related to me and I felt privileged that he chose me to be the one to tell HIS story to. When he finished I had tears running down my cheeks.…….

We can only hope Sir….

My Dad, Army Airborne Korean War vet, his next oldest brother Navy Korean War vet, My Grandfather Navy Pacific theater WW2 Vet. Father in Law Army Korean War, None of them would say much at all about their experiences. They bore scars both physical and mental. Dad would not watch a war movie. One day my Father in Law before he passed away was here at my home, he and I were setting out on my back deck and out of the blue he started talking about his Army experiences. He told me about it from the day he was sworn in until he made it back to the states, took him about 3 hours or so relate it to me. I just set there and listened, not saying a word. It was almost like he had to get it off his chest and tell someone about it. He never told his wife or children anything about what he related to me and I felt privileged that he chose me to be the one to tell HIS story to. When he finished I had tears running down my cheeks.…….
The pride you felt in hearing his story is very moving. What an honor to receive it. My father, a WWII vet, didn't speak much at all about his experiences. Too terrible to remember.

My wish would be that any person of WOKE thinking would for a second see what has been sacrificed for their freedom. Maybe, just maybe it would make enough of a difference for them to open their minds to other opinions and learn to respect this country…and put a little god back into it.
The sad part is that those "WOKE" people probably had family members that fought and died for the freedom's that we all have. AND they don't recognize it.
Jill and I have had family members that fought and died in every war conflict since the Revolution of 1776. we are still the GREATEST Country in the world. Every US Citizen should honor all of our fallen to preserve our liberties.

Last edited:
I notice that Brittany Greiner now stands at the Star Spangled Banner.
Too bad they didnt get Paul Whelan and bring him home, but at least she has learned a very very very small part of a lesson on what it is to be an
American and to be grateful for those whose shoulders we stand upon.

A lot of other younger Americans might benefit from a 2-3 month tour in a Russian or Chinese jail -----just hypothetically. I don't wish this on anyone in reality. I fear though that it may be a future reality for many.

I notice that Brittany Greiner now stands at the Star Spangled Banner.
Too bad they didnt get Paul Whelan and bring him home, but at least she has learned a very very very small part of a lesson on what it is to be an
American and to be grateful for those whose shoulders we stand upon.

A lot of other younger Americans might benefit from a 2-3 month tour in a Russian or Chinese jail -----just hypothetically. I don't wish this on anyone in reality. I fear though that it may be a future reality for many.
Amazing what a person will do when faced with incarceration in a foreign country with an uncertain future, isn't it??? She new what she was doing and got caught. Period. She's very lucky to have been brought back, IMHO.

My dad went to A&M. Was drafted out of his Jr. year by Uncle Sam for an all expense paid vacation in France, Belgium, and Germany.

He was not a US citizen when they drafted him. They gave him a good rifle, a Garand I think, and told him if he lived and brought the rifle back, he'd become a US citizen. So, he was in the 3rd wave on Normandy beach, fought in the battle of the Bulge, and at Aachen, and in Bavaria. He was with Patton's 3rd army. He was stationed in occupied France until late in 1946. When he came home my Grandmother said he went to his room and cried for 2 weeks. My aunt said she went into his room once and saw a big thick green heavy winter army coat, likely wool on his bed. She picked it up and noticed it had a bullet hole. She said, you didn't tell me you got shot. He told her I didn't. I had to take that coat off a dead soldier at the Battle of the Bulge because we were freezing to death and did not have heavy winter gear.

My dad never ever talked about the war. In fact, we were never allowed to have firearms in my home growing up.
My mother was raised on a farm. Her dad was a farmer and a hunter. She allowed us to buy some guns when we were teens, and we kept them at my Aunt's home. My Aunt's home got burglarized and we lost all of our guns. There is only one picture anywhere in existence of my dad with a gun. It is from the war, one he sent home. Maybe the army ordered everyone to make a photo and send it home.

My wife's father fought in the Phillipines with McArthur. He was also in Tokyo in the Occupation of Japan with McArthur. He was in 1st Cav. So was I. I did not know it until his funeral but he was awarded the bronze star. We will visit his grave Memorial Day and place a flag. Our cousins will place flags on my Dad's grave for us.

We stand on the shoulders of giants.

Attachments

• img717.jpg
    img717.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210222_100421.jpg
    20210222_100421.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
My dad went to A&M. Was drafted out of his Jr. year by Uncle Sam for an all expense paid vacation in France, Belgium, and Germany.

He was not a US citizen when they drafted him. They gave him a good rifle, a Garand I think, and told him if he lived and brought the rifle back, he'd become a US citizen. So, he was in the 3rd wave on Normandy beach, fought in the battle of the Bulge, and at Aachen, and in Bavaria. He was with Patton's 3rd army. He was stationed in occupied France until late in 1946. When he came home my Grandmother said he went to his room and cried for 2 weeks. My aunt said she went into his room once and saw a big thick green heavy winter army coat, likely wool on his bed. She picked it up and noticed it had a bullet hole. She said, you didn't tell me you got shot. He told her I didn't. I had to take that coat off a dead soldier at the Battle of the Bulge because we were freezing to death and did not have heavy winter gear.

My dad never ever talked about the war. In fact, we were never allowed to have firearms in my home growing up.
My mother was raised on a farm. Her dad was a farmer and a hunter. She allowed us to buy some guns when we were teens, and we kept them at my Aunt's home. My Aunt's home got burglarized and we lost all of our guns. There is only one picture anywhere in existence of my dad with a gun. It is from the war, one he sent home. Maybe the army ordered everyone to make a photo and send it home.

My wife's father fought in the Phillipines with McArthur. He was also in Tokyo in the Occupation of Japan with McArthur. He was in 1st Cav. So was I. I did not know it until his funeral but he was awarded the bronze star. We will visit his grave Memorial Day and place a flag. Our cousins will place flags on my Dad's grave for us.

Giants...Yes we do!

The pride you felt in hearing his story is very moving. What an honor to receive it. My father, a WWII vet, didn't speak much at all about his experiences. Too terrible to remember.
My dad never spoke one word, my uncles never spoke one word even couple that brought home shrapnel in their bodies. When I hear flying the flag offends people, my response is "try to take it down".

I shouldnt forget my wife's uncle Bob. He was hit by German artillery snd spent 4 years in the hospital in the 40s.

He was disabled for life. He lived to 94 but never worked and had a hard time functioning
for 70 years or so. Sacrifice......
He paid too.

My mother's cousin was in the airforce. He was rear tail gunner in a B17 Flying Fortress. His plane was shot down over France. All the men in his plane escaped and parachuted out over France. But his job was to make sure the crew got out before he did. He did not make it. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetary. I have been to his grave. One of the thousands of little white headstones. We stand on the shoulders of giants.