Memorial Day 2023

Ok. Last one. Promise !

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_080043265_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230527_080043265_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
Another story my father in law told me was while he was in Vietnam his group, which he was in charge of provided door gunners for the army helicopters. Said it was his turn as gunner and he heard the bullets hitting the chopper, saw where it wss coming from and opened up with the M60. The firing stopped but he heard the pilot yelling to stop firing. When they got back to the base the pilot who was a major was yelling at him that no one fired from his bird unless he allowed it. Don my father in law moved to bad breath distance to the major and said if anyone shoots at me, including you Maj I'm shooting back. And if you want to get marine door gunners in the future you'll address me with more respect! And I'll have my capt. Call you. He was with a naval detachment, and the captain was a 06. You can figure out how this works.

The Normandy 1944 book in photo is the 50 year celebration of the Normandy invasion. I just happened to be there in June 1994 for major business meeting. The French hosts provided us a copy as a gift which was deeply appreciated. I went to cemetery where I believe every American should experience the deep reverence. I sat on the bench that was in Saving Private Ryan and cried like everyone else that was there with me. Its an overpowering emotional experience to see all those white crosses in perfect alignment. You get a much deeper appreciation for those who gave their life to protect our freedoms. When you stand on the beachhead looking up at the highly fortified bluffs still there you ask yourself "how was this possible?". The concrete bunkers are riddled with heavy pockmarks showing the ferocity of the fighting. Sunken ships still visible, military vehicles shredded, caissons still there. Absolutely HORRIFYING to think of the carnage then standing in cemetery for those who gave it all is an unforgettable emotional experience. Just wished more Americans could experience it as well. I bet much different perspective of our freedoms.

I believe the cemetery is considered US soil as well.
I'm not sure if this is the same cemetery but I read a story about a cemetery above Omaha beach that French families adopt a grave of a service member and places flowers there since most of the fallens families are not able to. I thought this was very respectful and a beautiful gesture.

I have to wonder what is next once our generation has passed. We are still direct link to WWII, Korean War and Viet Nam. American history has been replaced in schools with who knows what. Pledge of Allegiance is defunct. Flying flag is frowned upon. Heck, the flag was removed from classrooms for offending non Americans. I fear for my future generations and hope they can turn this rising tide of vomit.

In 2009, I was given the incredible honor to serve as the Liasion to the family of a fallen member of my USAF squadron. If you've never seen the movie "Taking Chance" with Kevin Bacon, take the time and watch it, because for once, Hollywood absoutely nailed it. Helping this family through the bureaucracy and traveling with Bryan and his widow from Dover AFB to his final resting place in Florida was EASILY the most significant and meaningful thing I did in my 26 year military career. Watching his family deal with their grief over a decade and a half, watching his infant son grow up via social media, and having this experience firsthand have had a profound impact on me since the day I got that phone call. Rest in peace, brother.

American Hero
EOD SSGT Bryan D. Berky
22 March 1984 - 12 Sept 2009

Air Force Staff Sgt. Bryan D. Berky, 25, assigned to the 28th Civil Engineer Squadron of the 28th Bomb Wing at Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota, died of wounds sustained from enemy fire near Bala Baluk in the western province of Farah. Sgt. Berky was an explosive ordnance disposal operator, trained to protect military personnel and property from unexploded bombs. Bryan was considered an elite member of the military's bomb squads because of his ability and experience. He had already served in Kuwait and Afghanistan when he was deployed to Afghanistan to serve with Army forces this year.
The son of William and Sonya Berky; husband of Erin Williams; father of infant son Harrison. Sgt. Berky grew up in Starke, Fl., graduated from Bradford County High School.

1685216106790.png

1685216160930.png

I have to wonder what is next once our generation has passed. We are still direct link to WWII, Korean War and Viet Nam. American history has been replaced in schools with who knows what. Pledge of Allegiance is defunct. Flying flag is frowned upon. Heck, the flag was removed from classrooms for offending non Americans. I fear for my future generations and hope they can turn this rising tide of vomit.
Its even worse than they stopped all these solid American traditions, along w prayer in schools.

Now, they teach communism, Marxism, CRT, Gender Fluidity, safe spaces, the 1619 project version of history, and of course pre K sex education. American public schools are dangerous for kids these days. There may be some exceptions but in general a high % of 12th graders cannot read, write, or do math.
History is what happened in pop culture yesterday. There is no constitution or understanding of freedom, liberty, government by the people, or anything. Ignorance abounds, and merit no longer matters. There are no SAT or ACT scores needed for college. The airline pilots,
lawyers, doctors, and leaders of the future may not be people who can read, write, and do math. But like Biden's cabinet of clowns and misfits, they are
qualified by gender or race, or political affiliation.

More Senators like Fetterman, AOC, etc. on the way.

Low information = Dumbed Down and No Skills Culture.

Danger Icebergs Ahead......

I think it's time to add the Gulf war in the list. Desert Storm took a huge toll on our sons and daughters. RIP.

If the US flag was removed from a classroom my kids attended, I would remove them from that school. I would then spend the rest of my life ensuring the school changed the policy and removing those involved with this most heinous infraction! Offending non-US Americans? What kinda crap is that? Just in case they forgot: this IS the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! Please don't get me started......

Its even worse than they stopped all these solid American traditions, along w prayer in schools.

Now, they teach communism, Marxism, CRT, Gender Fluidity, safe spaces, the 1619 project version of history, and of course pre K sex education. American public schools are dangerous for kids these days. There may be some exceptions but in general a high % of 12th graders cannot read, write, or do math.
History is what happened in pop culture yesterday. There is no constitution or understanding of freedom, liberty, government by the people, or anything. Ignorance abounds, and merit no longer matters. There are no SAT or ACT scores needed for college. The airline pilots,
lawyers, doctors, and leaders of the future may not be people who can read, write, and do math. But like Biden's cabinet of clowns and misfits, they are
qualified by gender or race, or political affiliation.

More Senators like Fetterman, AOC, etc. on the way.

Low information = Dumbed Down and No Skills Culture.

Danger Icebergs Ahead......
Could you imagine an airline pilot being reduced to having to push buttons to fly an aircraft? Or a doctor asking an AI what is wrong with the patient? Those days may be coming, I'm glad I won't be here to see it. I shudder for our future generations. Children raising children. Can you say, "compulsory service"? The AI implications put forth by movies, such as, "Terminator" and "Wargames" scare the crap out of me. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I will never completely trust an AI for my future. Hhmmm....

Last edited:
Could you imagine an airline pilot being reduced to having to push buttons to fly an aircraft? Or a doctor asking an AI what is wrong with the patient? Those days may be coming, I'm glad I won't be here to see it. I shudder for our future generations. Children raising children. Can you say, "compulsory service"? The AI implications put forth by movies, such as, "Terminator" and "Wargames" scare the crap out of me. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I will never completely trust an AI for my future. Hhmmm....
It wouldnt be like that Dauntless that Muddys Dad or the bomber that Sebocreeks dad drove w stickshift, steering wheel, seat o the pants an bailin wire......🙂

Those were real men what could read, write, and calculate angles of approach and bomb
drops. Sorta like shootin 1000 yards.....takes a little smarts and learnin......not an easy button!