Melonite vs Nitride vs cyro treatments on barrels.

They recommend a minimal break in and super clean and then nitride(melonite).

So hard to get an accuracy before and after comparison. However, absolutely no problem after with accuracy.

This is not an accuracy treatment, it is a treatment that extends the barrel life. I got an extra 50 fps with same loads after though with the 300 WSM I can say that.

H&M Metal Processing, Parker- Trutec, Controlled Thermal Technologies. At one time or another I've used all three. Don't know as one is better than the others when it comes to "best". I've got 3 barrels I'll be shipping after the holidays are over and the 'shipping world' slows a bit. All have web sites where you can find a phone number.

Just checking in!!

My smith just finished a 6.5-284 BBl for me Tuesday. it will be here early next week. I would really like to get mine done, but only have one to do at this time. Is it possable / feasable to piggyback on someones order. I will pay all of the freight and insurance costs.
Or can I just send one in and have it done at additional cost? Will they do just one for a customer?

Thanks,
Tod

Just checking in!!

Or can I just send one in and have it done at additional cost? Will they do just one for a customer?

Thanks,
Tod
H & M has a 'batch charge' of $200-$250. That'll do 1 or 5-6. I talked to MMI about a yr. ago. They refered me to about 3 other companies who would ship the barrel(s) for me (with their charges). They didn't want me to ship them directly, they only wanted to deal with an "approved vender". I called 2 of the companies they (MMI) refered me to. Both wanted $250. I didn't bother to call the third company. I think CTT will do single barrels for anyone. You'd have to call and ask. (CTT = Controlled Thermal Technologies). I prefer to not use H & M unless I have a large enough batch, to defer the cost per barrel. So, lately I've been using CTT as the cost is more reasonable if only doing 3-4. I've not sent just one barrel, so...........

I have a couple guns to be done here soon. SO If everyone wants to get in on a deal we will put them all on my order. I have ffl and everything we would need if one is particular about that.

What about guns that are cerekote with low round count can they be done or what happens there?

You need to remove any coating (Ceracoat, Gun Kote, Duracoat, Krylon, etc.) completely. You need to send bare metal. If you bead blast before you ship it makes for a nice matte finish as well as the add life/hardness. Didn't seem to matter to MMI that I am a business w/FFL, they still wanted me to go through one of those other companies. It didn't matter to the other two. H & M has a FFL, so they can do receivers, CTT does not.

I have 2 barrels that were treated when I ordered them from Benchmark Barrels. Benchmark cut the barrels, lapped them, sent them off to get nitrided, then lapped them again to clean out the residue left behind by the nitriding process. There was no break in before the treatment.

The 6mm BR barrel was treated to recover a little bit of the velocity lost by going with the short 19" barrel. It has about 2000 rounds through it so far and shoots as well as it did on day one.

The 300 RUM was done to extend barrel life and I think it helped. The barrel lasted almost 1500 rounds before the throat was so rough that I started getting erratic pressures.

I'd say that it's worth doing if you're not in a hurry to get the project finished.

Yorke-1

The barrels where chambered I take it by benchmark or you used carbide reamers to chamber them?

I have some time because it takes longer waiting for new barrels. I will have a couple 7mm lapua imp to get done. I don't expect the barrel life to be very long.

Both were prefit Savage barrels done by Benchmark. I've always had excellent results with their barrels (I've had 4) and their work.

Hunt, I won a Wby Vanguard 5 years ago so I chose .257 Wby. My son has parts cryogenic treated so he took the barrel in also. Never shot it before the treating, but it is very easy to clean and shoots quite well for a Vanguard. The cost then was $70 with him taking it in and picking it up. I have a B&C Medalist stock bedded and Timney trigger on it. Serves me well for my purpose of <600 yards, not bad for no cost to me. Haven't any experience with the nitride treatment. Guess you could check their website for info, Cryogenics International, Scottsdale, Az. Good luck with your choice.

Wouldn't make much sense to chamber after nitriding. You'd have a throat that wasn't treated.

I follow that but did not see where the barrels were chambered. So that is why I asked the questions. I am sure there has been stranger things done.

Hunt, I won a Wby Vanguard 5 years ago so I chose .257 Wby. My son has parts cryogenic treated so he took the barrel in also. Never shot it before the treating, but it is very easy to clean and shoots quite well for a Vanguard. The cost then was $70 with him taking it in and picking it up. I have a B&C Medalist stock bedded and Timney trigger on it. Serves me well for my purpose of <600 yards, not bad for no cost to me. Haven't any experience with the nitride treatment. Guess you could check their website for info, Cryogenics International, Scottsdale, Az. Good luck with your choice.

Cryro is for stress relief...a good idea on a factory tube. Cryro won't do anything for extending tube life. Apples and oranges compared to melonite.

Wouldn't matter where a barrel was chambered as long as all machine work was done before the treatment. It needs to be pointed out that barrels with any fire cracking at all are not good candidates for nitriding. Copper, or other fouling left in the bore, can be detrimental, also. Best to bore scope, checking for cracking and cleanliness, before shipping. Barrels coming back from treatment require a lot of scrubbing to be sure all residue from the treatment is removed, before being fired.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.