Medium Actions for hunting

So many of the 'standard' cartridges would benefit from a medium action if you are wanting to shoot heavy bullets. 243, 308, 284, 7-08, etc etc. I don't see any reason to run a true short action for my needs ever again unless it was a 223 or one of the popular BR chamberings, I would go medium action for sure on a new rifle in a short action chambering. But then again I might go with a long action so when the next itch hits I'm not limited to short action chamberings.....

I don't see the bullet makers going much if any longer outside of specialty bullets like the Berger 30 cal 245, maybe we will see a 7mm in the low 200 grain range? I think we are currently in the golden age of high BC bullets and future refinements will be relatively minor. I might be wrong but if I am that will be cool to see too.
I am not sure if going longer is going to happen or not. I am sure bullet designs would have to change to keep the bullet stable. Next thing we know we are shooting 180 grainers out of our 6mms and pulling 4-inch-long slugs out of animals lol.

I see no profitable market for the cartridges mentioned and medium action…unless you are wanting to run some heavy/ long projectiles. I can do everything I want to do in the SAUM and WSM class with the short action and don't need the heavy or long bullets to accomplish my needs.

and those are conservative/short barrel numbers for velocities

quite the little cartridge. love mine
You're getting around 2750 fps with a 180 gr correct? If I remember correctly that was around a 2.940" to feed out of AICS mags.

Not exactly promoting medium length as the answer here but I can mash up a few different companies current platforms/innovations. With action tolerances and being able to order a barrel that headspaces, without a gunsmith, I wouldn't buy a medium action these days. I built a SAUM on a Defiance XM years ago, so I used to like the idea. I liked it a lot. Now, I might want my long 300 WSM to be a 300 RUM with the switch of a barrel.

Maybe something "like" a Tikka action (all long action). Only need one magazine length (outside dimensions) but different internal magazine COAL lengths available. Easy bolt stop switch out (*maybe only needed for marketing hype on bolt throw concerns). Something with with a 4" COAL. We can look at Desert Tech and their one platform setup as well (long action, short action with just a different bolt/bolt stop).

HS Precision kind of has something like this already with their 6.5x284 magazine. 3.2" COAL internal COAL but it's a long action external dimensions (uses their long action bottom metal). But, their Long action DBM is way too short for a long action cartridge (again, need 4").*Their 6.5x284 magazine works great for SAUM cartridges by the way.

Factory twist rates need updated as well. Companies like Browning are doing a few good things here.

"Like" a Tikka action = NOT a tikka action... Too short for long action cartridges.

Highlights:
  • One action length - Long Action @ 4"+
  • One stock option (long action)
  • Swappable bolt heads
  • Different magazine lengths (internal COAL) available but same outside dimensions
  • Easy bolt stop witch out (maybe needed, maybe not)
Biggest negative is this could add minor weight to a build. Maybe material, maybe not. Medium vs. long isn't the same argument as short vs. long.

Last edited:
I have a Cooper 520 in 6.5x284 that I acquired about a dozen years ago that has a bonafide medium action, comparable in length to the XM. At the time, I considered this quite attractive given most 6.5x284 shooters desiring to use, and efficiently seat the 140 class VLD's required either a long action which was excessively long for this cartridge, or a modified/extended short action. This action easily handles the more recently introduced Berger 156 EOL as well. I realized they are a semi-custom rifle manufacture, but I think they are rarely mentioned for being perhaps one of the first pioneers to supply this attractive action length/magazines in their rifles commercially.
45284617-B65C-4EAE-94AF-A8A9F404EF7E.jpeg

Last edited:
As long-range shooters become more popular every year, we are seeing higher BC bullets progress for every caliber. With this progression, we have seen calibers become very limited due to magazines' internal length. Action manufacturers see this issue becoming more prevalent and have started producing Medium length actions. Medium action magazines allow you to seat bullets out to 3.255" vs short actions only allow for 2.890". This is super beneficial for most of the Saum, WSM, and 6.5 PRC cartridges! Defiance and Lone peak were the pioneers with these actions but companies like Zermatt and Stiller are jumping on the bandwagon because they see the huge potential of these actions! What are your thoughts on the medium actions and will this allow bullet manufacturers to go even longer with bullets?

See the full article below!
Yep I've been doing this for over half a decade using tikka actions. They're cheap, awesome, and drama free.
I see no profitable market for the cartridges mentioned and medium action…unless you are wanting to run some heavy/ long projectiles. I can do everything I want to do in the SAUM and WSM class with the short action and don't need the heavy or long bullets to accomplish my needs.
I'll disagree with this.
Having the ability to load 175s out to 3.150 is getting me 2800 fps from an 18" barrel and I'm seating above the donut area.
True short actions suck for short mags with heavy for caliber bullets