Savage model 99a 375 inherited

X2! Thank you Lord for the Lee Loader! Loaded countless rounds prior to transitioning to single stage.

I started with a Lee Loader @ 14 or 15 and worked just fine for my .308 Win….. I didn't shoot it that much.

Then @ 16, I got a S& Model 28 (357 Mag), also started casting my bullets. I quickly discovered that I would load all day on Saturday and shoot them up in about an hour on Sunday!

That is when I had a revelation…..I needed a press. I bought a Lyman All American Turret Press. It's not nearly as strong as todays turret presses….but I loaded many thousands of rounds with it! memtb

Here is my 2 cents for free.......I am very sentimental so family pieces would be extremely hard for me to let go of. I am also 63 years old, and now realize I cannot keep everything. If I had at least one item that meant something to me, I could be happy. You have that. You can use the funds to buy something special that will bring you happiness, and know it came from that special source.
I think we'd all love to know what you finally decide.
I bought a 99 in March. Wanted one since I was a kid looking at the guns in the Sear's, Ward's, and J.C. Penny's catalogs. I waited until I found the gun I wanted, with all the features I wanted, in the condition I wanted. I checked off all my wants. These are fun guns to shoot, even if only at the range. They have a great history and keep going up in price. In my area, a good, not pristine 99 will bring $800-$2000, depending on features, caliber, condition and age.

I just bought one off guns international and it is a collector's grade. I paid dearly for it. I would keep it just because of the value of the gun. It's not gonna go down in value as long a you keep it in great shape!!! Plus the sentimental value alone is priceless!

I have been following this thread for a while, and I will tell you that I make good money buying "grandpas" guns from pawn shops, restoring them, and then selling them back to people who wish they would have never sold their Daddy's, Uncle's, Grandpa's, or family's gun.

I have restored many Winchester 94's, Marlin 336's, Remington 742's 🤢, single shot whatever's, etc. I enjoy the process, but it never fails, once I post a pic of my new project gun, I get a message from someone asking if I would be willing to sell it to them because they had a family member give one to them and they sold it when they were younger.

When it comes to this particular Savage 99, just know there is an extremely slim chance you will ever find another one for sale when you are older. I have never seen one in 375Win.

There are 2 variants of the 99A 375 Win and neither variant had many of them made. One was introduced in 1981 and discontinued in 1982 and was actually the older style. It had a steel butt plate and a schnabel forearm as seen below.
image.jpg

Then there's the one below which was introduced in 1980 and discontinued the same year I believe with only 1500 made. It had a different forearm design and also a recoil pad with a lower grade of finish in the stock. If I'm not mistaken there were only a very limited amount of 375 Wins made in each variant. If you want to sell it let me know as I'd be very interested depending on the condition of the gun and seeing some pictures of it. If it was me I'd keep it in the family but that depends on your circumstances of course.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Also, you said this is from your recently deceased grandfather? If so a) my condolences, and b) how old are you and do you have kids? If you don't mind my asking. Because a thing like this will mean more to you the longer he's been gone and also makes a wonderful thing to pass down to future generations of family.

This will be something you regret selling or trading. I'm 💯 certain. This is more than a toy or a tool or just another rifle. This is important by virtue of its rarity, who it belonged to, and the memory and heritage invoked by its existence in your family or family-to-be.

I have a savage 99 I inherited too, from a man who is still alive! A great uncle of mine was estranged from his whole family, and then in his 50s suffered and survived a massive heart attack. This confrontation with his own mortality lead him to make things right with God and also to be reconciled and make amends with all the friends and family he had hurt or just disappeared on for the last 30 years. I had never met the man, and was 14 years old when I inherited the gun…but he knew I was into shooting and hunting and passed down a savage 99 in .243, nothing rare, but very special.

His only instructions were "make sure this stays in the family". He made me promise while looking him in the eye and shaking his hand haha. Had I not gave him my word who knows, when I was young and stupid and most of all broke I might have sold it. Now I'm not as young, still kinda stupid, arguably still broke, but I have four children of my own and it will bring me great pleasure to give this rifle to one of them when they are of age, with similar instructions.