Zermatt Medium Action

NLS7162

I have a Zematt Medium action that will be built finished in a 7mm Short mag of some variety. Wanting to have a seperate barrel spun up in a standard short action cartridge to practice more on the same platform without burning down the Magnum barrel. How do these actions run with a standard Short action cartridge 6.5 creed/308 Win with available MDT mags?

I love my SA 6.5 CM. I like the barrel threads, the bold head design and the smoothness of the action. It has a Rock Creek Barrel and shoots very well.

Attachments

• IMG_20190828_092846183_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190828_092846183_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
Thanks for the reply.

I did not ask the question very clearly. What I was really wanting to know is how smoothly factory Short action ammunition (2.800"ish OAL) will feed in the medium length action? Will I run into more malfunctions with the longer action? Does the controlled round feed of the TL3 help mitigate these issues?

OK Thanks for clairifaction. I don't have a med action so no personal knowledge. However having been at this game for 53 years I don't think you would have any problems, espesically with the controlled round feed.

I have a Zematt Medium action that will be built finished in a 7mm Short mag of some variety. Wanting to have a seperate barrel spun up in a standard short action cartridge to practice more on the same platform without burning down the Magnum barrel. How do these actions run with a standard Short action cartridge 6.5 creed/308 Win with available MDT mags?
I have an origin Long action that I shoot a 300 win mag and will swap out barrels to a 308 win I haven't had any issues

I think controlled round feed will increase the odds of difficult chambering, and not help.

This based on my experience with a M70 controlled round feed 270 Win length action, which has been rebarreled to 22 Creedmoor. The CRF extractor rigidly holds the rim of my 22 Creedmoor casings as they cant upward to feed into the chamber. The result is some binding during feeding, compared to what I think would be experienced with a push feed action.

The shells feed, but a little roughly.

Last edited:
I did ask Ray @ Zermatt this question about my origin before I purchased it if there would be any issues running a short action caliber in the long action. He responded thT it would handle it just fine.

I used a LA Origin with a 6.5 CM, LA 30-06 mags, and did not have an issue. I had to adjust the magazine spring a bit but once I did, it worked like a charm. You will most likely have to adjust the lips on your magazine in order to make it feed correctly. I've had to do this on several LA/SA AICS mags, when using the correct length mag for said cartridge.

Really appreciate everyone's responses. If I decide to order the MDT magazine and try it, I will be sure to report back with my results.

should work fine PA may have a barrel all ready done