Actions and Calibers for Long Range Hunting

DennisT

I am thinking about building a new rifle for long range hunting. I want to use it for game up to elk size and out to 1000 yards. I am looking at actions made by Defiance and McMillan , and I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on which one is better. Also, I was considering having the rifle built in .30 - 378 or .338 Edge. However, Nosler has some new, or at least relatively new, calibers out in 28 Nosler and 30 Nosler, but I can't seem to find a lot of information about them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - DennisT.

I can't help with the actions, there is surely someone who can.

Caliber/chambering I can offer some information.

30-378 is sertainly a potent round. It will mark a 30 caliber bullet go as fast and far as it can go.

The 338 Edge is one I have. Accurate, potent, not excessive. I consider it fun. 1000yards is a diddle.

The "Noslers", 26,27,28,30,33 and 35 suit my desires well. I have made a 27,28,30 and 33. The 28 offers more range than a 7mm RM or 7WSM and is totally the equal of the 7STW. The 30 Nosler should put a little more in the engine room than the 300WN. Mine certainly does. You won't be lacking with any you choose.

What style of rifle, weight and how your going to use it will help people give advice. The parts for a 20 lb truck gun vs 7lb steep and deep gun are very different.

I am thinking about building a new rifle for long range hunting. I want to use it for game up to elk size and out to 1000 yards. I am looking at actions made by Defiance and McMillan , and I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on which one is better. Also, I was considering having the rifle built in .30 - 378 or .338 Edge. However, Nosler has some new, or at least relatively new, calibers out in 28 Nosler and 30 Nosler, but I can't seem to find a lot of information about them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - DennisT.

Oh boy. Talk about a can of worms. Defiance is very very good. I have four. Borden, stiller, and Pierce are good too. Think about driving a .600 BC bullet at 2950. Many good choices to choose from.

I was thinking something in the range of 11 lbs or less. I would like it to be heavy enough for long shots, but light enough to still hunt with under normal conditions.

If you go 378 i would say APS for the better bolt, but not 30 cal, 338. I think the RUM is plenty for the 30 cal unless your going 30" barrel. If your going repeater get something to take those super long bergers on the RUM case. The advantage with the "cheap" RUM brass no longer being true i would probably just go with the lapua case if going 338 and not going with the edge.

Hello, I am new to this site. I have questions about a 257 Roberts but not sure if this is the right place. Any help?

Based on the original post I would go with a 300 RUM.

Hello, I am new to this site. I have questions about a 257 Roberts but not sure if this is the right place. Any help?

lightbulbI suggest you start your own thread and avoid hijacking this thread.lightbulb

Which forum to post depends on your question.

Cheers!

To the OP,

Both will serve you well. However, IIWY, I'd go with the Deviant, 26"+ barrel, chambered in .300 Win Mag, load Berger 210/215/230 and you're golden to 1000+ yards.

I harvested my 2013 MT bull elk with 190 Berger at 931 yards with a .300 Win Mag.

Check this out >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.