Meanwhile on RS they're killin bear, deer, elk , and moose with .223 and 77gr TMK.

You can probably kill an elephant with a .22 if you know what you're doing, but the problem is so many don't. I have a friend that runs a high fence operation, I would never hunt in such a place unless it was big (1000 acres) and the animals were free ranging in that space. He does it for a living, so I figure that's his business. They have banned .223's after spending countless hours with drones and handheld thermals looking for wounded animals. This is tons of real world experience with the cartridge, not the bullets mentioned here. 77 grains seems sufficient if traveling fast enough for medium sized game, and in the hands of an expert marksman maybe more, but for the average joe, my friend won't let him on the property with one.

Here's a thread
You can probably kill an elephant with a .22 if you know what you're doing, but the problem is so many don't. I have a friend that runs a high fence operation, I would never hunt in such a place unless it was big (1000 acres) and the animals were free ranging in that space. He does it for a living, so I figure that's his business. They have banned .223's after spending countless hours with drones and handheld thermals looking for wounded animals. This is tons of real world experience with the cartridge, not the bullets mentioned here. 77 grains seems sufficient if traveling fast enough for medium sized game, and in the hands of an expert marksman maybe more, but for the average joe, my friend won't let him on the property with one.
Excuse my biased, I don't expect much from high fence hunters.

77 gr TMK terminal pic of a heart. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/77-gr-sierra-smk's-deer-hunting.7193797/#post-11209937

1701705089788.jpeg

Last edited:
xsn10s,
Yes, It's my hand load. Cheers
My handloads also came out to be 2750 fps using a 77 gr SMK out of my M4. My 20" AR does 2843 fps with a 73 gr ELDM and is spicy. I can't see getting 2913 fps out of a 18" AR15 with 77 gr OTM factory ammo. That and using water jugs is why I lost interest in the guy's findings. Cheers.

My handloads also came out to be 2750 fps using a 77 gr SMK out of my M4. My 20" AR does 2843 fps with a 73 gr ELDM and is spicy. I can't see getting 2913 fps out of a 18" AR15 with 77 gr OTM factory ammo. That and using water jugs is why I lost interest in the guy's findings. Cheers.
Yeah, seems we have the same velocities in the CARs.... my 20" AR with the same load in the 2800 fps range, and my LR .223 Rem with a 27" barrel runs an 80gr Mk at just a little over 2950 fps. I agree, the water jug demo was just a waste of good water, but.. that one jug had some crazy hydraulic reaction, and even if he was only 50 yards away I wouldn't expected that reaction with a 77gr OTM even if it was going 2945 fps or whatever he said. Cheers

"not the bullets mentioned here" So I don't see the relevance in that case.

"not the bullets mentioned here" So I don't see the relevance in that case.
Yes I agree. It even sounds like he's comparing a .22 LR since he writes ".22". I'll just keep posting up kills with .223/ 5.56. Here's a guy that takes whitetails with 55 gr vmax. BTW he and his kids have something like 150 kills with the .223 and no lost animals.

Last edited: