Mcmillan bedding job gone wrong

First, you should have attempted it yourself as it is an easy project. Numerous videos will guide you. For instance Gunblue490 is excellent. Second, how did you find this guy. I hope he didn't come highly recommended, because that means someone else had some bad work done.
Didnt want my first attempt to be on a $650 stock. I had used him in the past on two different pistols and they came out fine.

It's very easy to get a nice looking bedding job. But not as easy to get a perfectly stress free bedding job.
Shep

Thanks for all the advice. As of now I have contacted Mcmillan and will wait for their response in a few days. Along with the responses in this thread, I want a response from the manufacturer as well. Then I will be in a strong position when I go in next week. Thanks again to all

First off I'm a master gunsmith graduating from PGS in 1992. Yes your bedding job looks horrendous. I would never ever put something like that out the door. It can be fixed easily. Also McMillan recommends their stocks to be bedded for best accuracy. I use my dremel all the time. Big time saver on many things. If you get your money back. I'll fix it for you for that amount and you can take the shipping out from that total. If he won't give you your money back I will fix it for you for free if you pay shipping both ways. If I was not a gunsmith I would box it up and send it to McMillan and let them fix it. Let's hope your non gunsmith refunds you. I hate when someone in my profession does stuff like that. I do free work all the time also 50% labor for all vets and first responders. Shep
I will keep that in mind because I would love to have this fixed and done right. I will at the very least get my money for the "bedding job" back.

Just got my rifle back from the gunsmith. I had my tikka t3 .308 bedded in a Mcmillan gamehunter stock. When I got home and disassembled the stock I was lets just say angry. It appears an needless amount of material was removed from an already fully inleted stock and now there is a gap between my action and the stock where my bolt closes. I also spent over an hour cleaning compound off the barrel and even inside the action had serious debrie and all of this for the bargin price of $130. I would love some opinions on this because I am taking it back looking for a labor refund and the cost of a now worthless stock that I cant even resell in its current condition.

Looks pretty nasty.

You you say what town the Smith is in?

If Houston what side of town, just don't want to go there.

The stock is not ruined. It can be repaired by a competent gunsmith. I am not trying to be combative here. If I was, you'd know it. I bothered to go thru a 2yr accredited gunsmithing school. Stockmaking by hand , from a blank, was still taught then. Students were required 4 stocks by hand from a blank or about twice that many from a pre-inlets. I opted for the 4 from blanks. The pics posted show darned sloppy work, to say the very least. But ruined? I think not! As I have said, that 'mess' can be repaired and the action properly bedded. Curious as to your training that would have you say the stock is ruined. All I can see is some sloppy work, where no real structural damage has occurred . The gap under the bolt handle I commonly see from the Mc factory, and it would'n't be a structural issue, just cosmetic and a place for 'trash' to find its way into a place it's not supposed to be.
My background? 2 years at gunsmithing school, 5 years advanced firearms engineer school then 38 years as a gunsmith. In my opinion the poor job done can not be cleaned up. One could re-bed and fill but the added weight and multiple layers of beding would be bad news. Any reputable gunsmith would admit the mistake and replace the stock and bedding job.

Any reputable gunsmith would admit the mistake and replace the stock and bedding job.
Any reputable 'gunsmith' would have not agreed to do the job if he didn't have the skills to do it, and i use the term 'gunsmith' loosely here. Stress free glass bedding is a basic job. But, everyone is a 'gunsmith' these days.

I don't really think there will be a weight gain noticeable. The action area on McMillan stocks is made from a heavier fill. I doubt the few once of bedding material will weigh much more than the fill. Even if the stock goes from 32 to 34 oz who could tell or even care. I don't glass on glass either. All the glass needs removed from that stock and done correctly. Shep

Marine tex can fill it, but yea that's pretty bad
I've stopped paying "bargain" prices unless I know it's a quality Smith, but then again- quality smith usually dont charge bargain prices--- most bed jobs in my area are $225+

My Smith cost $250 but that's with his larger machines pillars. Worth every penny IMO.

I don't really think there will be a weight gain noticeable. The action area on McMillan stocks is made from a heavier fill. I doubt the few once of bedding material will weigh much more than the fill. Even if the stock goes from 32 to 34 oz who could tell or even care. I don't glass on glass either. All the glass needs removed from that stock and done correctly. Shep
Glass on glass would be bad juju. I'm not betting man, but I would bet that Mc says 'repairable'. I agree, weight gain would be minimal , with no loss of structural integrity. It's just a matter of repairing a screw-ups' work, which I seem to do countless times a year.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts