Bedding gone bad

Takem406

Well some idiot not to name any names decided it would be fun to bed his favorite rifle. But he must not have gotten enough shoe polish on the front screw. The back screw was OK but the front is a no go! What a dumb@$$!!!

What can this mentally challenged person do to fix the problem?
Thanks!

Remove all you can from weapon and freeze it in freezer. Remove and tap upwards with plastic mallet or use a close fitting screw and try to turn at least a little immediately.

It SHOULD snap free.

Larry
Tinkerer

Never had it happen to me but if freezing it doesn't work (witch is a good idea) take a brass or plastic hammer and give the screw a good wack from the bottom (with the scope off). Probably will work good while frozen.

That's the problem with shoe polish. Next time, spring for some real release agent! It might cost a few $$$,, but I like the stuff in the spray can that Brownells sells. Don't forget a bit of modeling clay to fill the voids that can create a "mechanical" lock.

So it's in the trigger too. Haven't tried freezing it yet. Looks like I'll need a Timney... Then if I decide to let a professional handle this, who specializes in fixing screw ups?

Wow, I would take it to Quarter minute magnums and have him strip it and build a really nice rifle out of that action!

I have had guns come by with stuck screws before. I have drilled the head off of the screw, removed the stock and then take a pocket torch to the screw with the action in a vice. Then vise grips should be enough to get the screw out.

You can get a factory rem trigger for $25 if you have to. Or get a rifle basix. Timney seems to be sucking lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.