McGowen vs. Others

Just going to throw my own experience out there. I use carbon six and mcgowan, both are technically mcgowan barrels. The reason I chose these barrels is because I'm cheap. The barrels I've got from them are good quality and easy to tune. I currently have 5 barreled actions using mcgowan. All shoot under 3/4 moa, which is my minimum benchmark for a decent barrel. I also have a 300 rum barrel that shoots the 245's in 3/8" holes at 100. Don't confuse cheap with inexpensive. Mcgowan barrels are inexpensive, not cheap. Pun intended, they are a great bang for the buck. Yes there's better barrels out there, but I'm easily pleased I guess, so Mcgowan works for me.

I have 3 McGowen barrels and am very happy with them. I do borescope them but pay no attention to the tooling marks and such, all barrels shoot 1/2 MOA with hand loads. I order prefit Mauser 98 barrels. I have the hand tooling (no lathe needed) to square up the action, lap the lugs, square the bolt face and more. I recommend McGowen to all my friends that want/need work done as my experiences with them has been very positive - they will correct any mistake/issue without fuss. Chamber work is excellent. All my rifles are for hunting so I spec a #2 contour to save a bit of weight and get a solid 3 rounds before a POI shift. They offer a slew of GS services and I have found no one better for my Mauser projects - they are tough to beat. I would say use them with confidence and ensure to comunicate very clearly so the can execute to your plan. I also use Brux, Criterion, X-Caliber, Adams & Bennett and Green Mountain - they all shot excedingly well, but McGowen does the prefit for my which saves me lots of time and $. Best of luck with your project - keep us posted.
I have to add that I always send them my roughing reamer and spec my prefit barrels at .050" short, I then finish ream it to my preffered headspace spec as I'm very particular about it. I have custom reamers ground by Dave Manson that are specific to the brass I plan to use. All the 280 Ackley brass available that I've purchased in the past 4 years from Nosler and Hornady are well undersized and leave a pronounced doughnut/bulge above the .200 line (when used in a max SAAMI chamber which most manufacturers cut to) - at the start of the case web. This is not acceptable to me hence the custom reamers and reloading die sets. I've built rifles in 30-'06, 257 Roberts AI, 280 AI and 308 Win - they all shoot 1/2 moa or better. The 257 Roberts AI shoots in the .1's with a 100gr Barnes TTSX - it's a thrill to shoot a group like that built on a VZ-24 Mauser action and a McGowen barrel. My next build is on a prefit M98 McGowen 6.5 caliber barrel that my wife bought me for Christmas - not certain which chambering yet, but it will likely be a 6.5-280AI since I have an abundance of brass. I'll take a bit of credit for the success of my builds on McGowen's barrels. :)

With C6 using the McGowen barrels, I would assume they perform a quality check upon receiving them and if it's not good, they wouldnt wrap and send out to their customer? Seems like you can't compare getting a barrel from C6 to getting straight from McGowen.

What is the contour and length of that barrel? 5/8-24 threads?
It's a #4, 19" with 5/8×24 threads
Man there's a lot of haters on here, for those talking about C6 somehow being better know that McGowen handlaps their barrels.
I like how one dude posts a wildly ugly throat pic and never responds to any follow up questions about it..
I will 100 % agree with the statements about Dan being utterly terrible to deal with, they have a new guy now who's awesome.

Last edited:
@7.62 Gunner , thanks for the specs. I'm considering an 18", 9 twist, 30-06 prefit as suppressor host, but can't decide on contour. Your info helps.

Incidentally, my brother has a McGowen and I have a Carbon 6, both prefits, and neither of us have any complaints.

Steve

With C6 using the McGowen barrels, I would assume they perform a quality check upon receiving them and if it's not good, they wouldnt wrap and send out to their customer? Seems like you can't compare getting a barrel from C6 to getting straight from McGowen.
C6 buys blanks and chambers them in house. McGowen may make a great blank, mine shoots great, but their definition of a prefit doesn't add up.

@7.62 Gunner , thanks for the specs. I'm considering an 18", 9 twist, 30-06 prefit as suppressor host, but can't decide on contour. Your info helps.

Incidentally, my brother has a McGowen and I have a Carbon 6, both prefits, and neither of us have any complaints.

Steve
Do it!
I'm loving my shorty suppressed setups, here's how it looks with my Nomad LT.
Before anyone freaks out about the stock it's temporary so I can fire form a few improved cases to send in for custom dies. Big thanks to @Rum Man man for sending it to me, I won't have my LRH for another 2-3 months
20230208_173621.jpg

I have a ruger tang safety to build off of, and an AB Raptor 4 stack with 5" reflex mount in jail. I'm thinking an 18" #4 30-06 will make a handy dandy pig thumper and still be able to reach out to 5 or 600, where my 26" 300PRC will take over.

Yes , I sent the barrel back after alot of ******** with them. Customer service was horrendous, they replaced the barrel which took another two months. The new barrel wasnt pretty looking either but does shoot well. I've since ordered criterion barrels and proof Barrels and have been extremely happy. I honestly think the Mc Gowen barrels might be good but their shop work needs a lot of improvement. I wouldn't deal with them again or recommend them.

Recent Posts