McGowen prefits

Over the years I've purchased seven barrels from them. The last three are were I started having issues with them. These are all Savage pre-fits. The first had the threads cut too far so when installed the threads were exposed after the barrel nut. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. The next one was ordered with a Savage sporter contour but came like a Douglas #1. They were willing to replace it but I keep anyhow. And the third came like the other two. On all three I asked for a polished finish and got what looks like a B4 finish in Stainless Steel. When I told Dan about my displeasure he didn't answer my email and has since removed me from their email list. Would I buy another one from them... NO!

Like others have said there are so many prefit companies use one you are comfortable with.
Made my living in retail for many years and never would have considered phone rudeness I got from them, we used to say repeat customers come from our product and our attitude. Too many laps around the track for me, dog will only bite me once and after that I move on. I posted my first post and gave them every benefit of the doubt, but I still have the instructions that I had in front of me when I ordered stapled to their invoice when it came. Criterion for my next purchase, yea the barrel shot good but how many have their best friend and gunsmith on speed dial who will drop everything and fix the problems while I stand there and wait. What I didn't realize was I sure wasn't the only one....Dave

I have 3 of their Savage prefits and all shoot awesome. I also had a AR10 barrel made by them and it had a messed up gas block length. They sent me a brand new barrel and told me I could keep the other that was the wrong length. For me the customer service was spot on.

to save money, i just bought a prefit from KAK industries. they apparently use green mountain blanks in 416R. they come bead blasted and some kind of black finish that seems to be pretty tough. they're $200 with the barrel nut, but i got mine on sale during black friday for $180. a barrel nut wrench is only $15 from them. i'm just waiting for a recoil alignment tool from PTG to get here that i ordered on 12/15 to install it. (i could post another rant about customer service from PTG, but i dont want to thread jack)

it's just a hunting rifle, so i dont need it to shoot 1/4" groups at 100, but it should be sub-moa i hope.

I have bought 3 AR15 Heavy Varmint barrels from them and all shoot very good.I never had to deal with customer service.I was told 30 days to get the barrels and had them in 20.

I've used around 6 of their barrels and had good luck. They machine good, clean well and are accuarate. Not as good as a Krieger but the wait time is way shorter. And yes to talk to him on the phone he can come across really gruff to put it nicely! I just order online and only call when I have to. As we all know, you maintain customers with good customer service and they need to work on that!

I've gotten two barrels from McGowen, both were 500 Acc Rel with two different throats and freebores. Service and product were EXCELLENT.

I've had two barrels from McGowen in 500 AccRel, with two different throats. EXCELLENT.
Here is what the 500AccRel Nyati (short throat) did:
bGQESx3.jpg

That is .510" caliber at 100 yards, 3-shot group, 6500 ft# recoil, 0.45 inches.
McGowen did the barrel and chambered and mounted the barrel with my reamer.
I'm grateful for the good job.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand. My first five barrels were great and very accurate. My concerns were for the last three. The finish wasn't acceptable and the accuracy has been challenging. Giving them a little more time I'll sure they will start shooting better. I think McGowen has suffered what a lot of businesses suffered during this strong economy... employee turnover! When that happens they end up hiring lesser trained people to replace the trained ones that were hired way.

has Anyone specifically had a tikka prefit done? Browsing through their website I could not tell if they offered a shouldered barrel for tikka or if it ends up needing a barrel nut.
I've used a few of their barrels over the years.
One shouldered Tikka barrel that shoots bugholes.
I also did a prefit Tikka barrel with the nut in 6mm, it shot ok but copper fouled badly.
I called about the copper fouling issue and the manager (Dan) is the absolute worst individual in customer service that I've come across.
I'm personally not using their barrels again.
I'd recommend Criterion, I pulled the McGowan 6mm barrel and replaced it with the Criterion and it's night and day difference.
Plus they're awesome to deal with

I've had three.
All shot very well, only had one screw up that wasn't a big deal. But from talking to them a couple times on the phone.
1 instance was decent. The other **** poor.
My 30-06 and 6.5 are about to need rebarreled. And I won't use them again. The one crap experience, I'll take my money elsewhere.

OK this thread will get my honest experience with them, will be lengthy but all should be explained to prevent it from sounding like a rant. I called them and ordered a prefit to fit my needs, 1 in 9 twist 7mm-08 savage stainless match barrel to fit my small shank action in 20" #3 contour. One of two brush guns I was building at the time. They said no problem and I sat back and waited, after about a month I received news it was on its way, when it arrived I was stunned to see it was a large shank barrel (where they got that I have no idea I was specific about shank size). I called and got a person who accused me of changing my mind and they built what I asked for, Quite rude and matter of fact. So I explained all I build are savages and I know what shank size I ordered could they please cut down and rethread so I could use it. he got really mad and said no they didn't want it back they would build another barrel. OK so I wait again this time about 2 weeks and another barrel shows up the right shank size no charge, maybe this will all be good now. I try a dummy round in it to find lands and find out they won't come near the 2.85" mag length, its out over 3".

Now my good friend and smith enters the pic, he looks at the throat and says we need to shorten the barrel some and rechamber it, at the same time he shows me the crown that is rough to say the least. To shorten a long story I gave him the large shank barrel(which he still has) and he trued and cut the barrel some and match chambered it and recrowned it very well I might add. Now it was ready to break in and shoot, I'm still in the final stages of load development although its been some years. I have it in the fours at one hundred and have the last ladders for distance off lands to do. I believe it will hit the threes this spring and the long adventure will be over, did it end up as a blank from Mcgowen shooting? Yes. Did it do what I wanted when all was said and done? Yes. Did my buddy have a lot to do with that? Yes indeed. Did they stand behind their error? Yes. Were they rude and failed to follow directions? YES.

Would I ever deal with them again? No, don't need the hassle and problems to deal with. At the same time this was happening I also got a Lothar Walther barrel same length and lighter contour in 260 for the other brush gun build. It was perfect and quickly shot threes and fours to my delight. And I'm sure all on here know getting a whippy little 20" barrel to shoot like these two do is a trick all in itself. Dave

Sounds all to similar to my own experience.

I had a 338-06 barrel made.

Ugh. By the time the whole thing was done I asked if I could just send it back to them. I even said I didn't want my money back. I just wanted the barrel gone.

Wrong length. Chamber too deep. Muzzle boogered up.

By the time it was shootable it couldn't hold a 6 inch group at 200 yards when I had an ER Shaw 338-06 barrel holding about an inch at the same distance with the same action, scope, and stock (free floated). That's when I emailed them for a return address.

I bought a Remage barrel from them about a year ago. Like some of the post above the guy who answered the phone was very rude and acted like I was bothering him. The Barrel was a 1-7 twist 22-250. I was asked to send Dummy rounds with the Longest bullet that I would be using, I sent three. The Barrel took about 8 weeks which is what I was told the day I ordered it, so no issues there. Once i got the barrel back i check the chamber, it was about 0.100 thousands to deep and the crown was terrible. I called the company and told them my issues with the barrel and they offered to take it back and fix it or build a new one. Shipping would be at my cost. To get the project off and running I fixed the crown myself and I was able to seat the bullet out far enough while still having some bearing surface in the neck of the case. Having said all of that, The barrel is super accurate and cleans very easily but I will go with Northland Shooters Supply next time. They seem to have a better reputation. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.