McGowen prefits

Well said Feenix…..you are correct and in the whole scheme of things I ended up with what I wanted. Actually with no extra $ spent. Its a shooter and may even get better, but I don't know about that ford thing....:)

has Anyone specifically had a tikka prefit done? Browsing through their website I could not tell if they offered a shouldered barrel for tikka or if it ends up needing a barrel nut.

There will always be mixed reviews due to varying personal experiences. Sometimes we develop prejudice/personal bias after a bad experience from it. My 1984 Ford Mustang caught fire due to cracked fuel line and electrical shorts. I have never purchased any Ford vehicles since then but that was just me.

I developed a load for a couple of friends in the last couple of years and theirs shoot extremely well.
Exactly. The more of a product that's out there, naturally the more problems you are going to hear about. Anything thats made with humans involved, is subject to human error.

My Fox Body cars never caught on fire. I love'em!
FB_IMG_1529183888084.jpg

Back on track, good to hear others experience. Bad communication kills it for me! I see they offer a 1/2 MOA guarantee - that's a bonus, but from the overwhelming majority having CS issues this will push me on to search for another tikka prefit manufacturer.

My experience with one wouldn't stop me from trying them again.

.243 Win

100 yard round robin seating depth test.

300 yard group.

Stevens 200 CF action
Savage Pre-Fit .243 Win 26" Heavy Varmint McGowen 1:7 twist
Stockade tactical bolt handle, recoil lug, and lift kit
SSS Competition trigger
EGW 20 MOA base
Warne rings
Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 PA
HS Precision stock and Savage bottom metal with detachable mag

My buddy loves his M96 6.5 Swedemoor that McGowen rebarreled for him. A lot of guys are shooting them in Carbon 6 barrels as well.

Last edited:
Back on track, good to hear others experience. Bad communication kills it for me! I see they offer a 1/2 MOA guarantee - that's a bonus, but from the overwhelming majority having CS issues this will push me on to search for another tikka prefit manufacturer.

The key is for you to synthesize the information being presented so you can rationalize and make a sound decision.

McGowen Barrels is still on my list of barrels to try.

I've had 7 McGowen barrels ( 243 Win, 260 Rem, 6.5x47L, 284 Win, 7 SAUM, 338/375 Ruger and 358 Win) and they've all shot extremely well, around .3-.4 MOA with the right loads. I've never dealt with them on the phone though so I can't comment on that. I just order what I want on the website and wait a couple weeks into it shows up.

My wife has gotten me in the habit of keeping a notepad handy whenever I conduct any kind of business over the phone. Always write down the person's name (with last name if they give it), what time you called and on which day. That way, if you want to give the company another chance, tell John Doe you'd prefer he not take your order, and maybe you will get Jane Doe, whom is better with people skills.

McGowen prefits?

Looking to pick one up for a tikka I have lying idle.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience with these?
Built two 7WSM with their barrels. Eventually they both shot very well. They seemed to take quite a bit more "breaking in" than other Criterion barrels I have used. Chambers seemed a bit rough to me and after some polishing some extraction issues went away. No real complaints other than there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the order taker and the machine shop as I found out on another build. Both the 7's shoot .5 moa now!

Bought a savage prefit 300 win, put it on a savage 114 classic. Not even bedded, it shoots 1/2 moa at 200 yards with Barnes 185 in the factory wood stock.

Didn't have to deal with their CS so no input on that.

I have 3 Mcgowens all on Savages. They all shoot and one shoots amazing. I have never dealt with them on the phone so I have no idea how they are. Like others have said there are so many prefit companies use one you are comfortable with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts