Max effective range

TCampbell

I have a 300 RUM that shoots 200gr AB (b.c. .588) at around 3100fps and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the max effective range would be for elk & deer? I have heard that 1500ftlbs of energy is min for elk and around 1000ft lbs for deer but am not sure. I don't have any bal softwhere to tell me what my energy is at long ranges. Does anyone have any experience whith the 300 RUM on elk at extended ranges? I shot mine this year at 510yrds and went through the sholder at an angle and exited just before the hind qourter. No problems there!!! I am just not sure what it can do at 1000yrds or mabye 1200yrds? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tom

Thanks for the reply. That is about what I was thinking but I was wondering if anyone had any balistic data or know of a formula on what kind of energy that I would have at those extended ranges.

A simple on-line calculator that I use says:
700 yards, 1891 foot-pounds
800, 1663
900, 1458
1000, 1275
1100, 1113
1200, 970
1300, 847
1400, 743

It really helps to know a bit about the conditions where you'll be hunting, here's a little data on three different locations all at 40 degrees F.

For long range there is much to consider and those handy sea level and 59 degrees F. charts stop being useful at about 500 yards.

From JBM ballistics:

200 grain .588 BC at 3,100 fps

40 degrees, Sea level

800 yards = 1,560 ft/lbs
1200 yards = 875 ft/lbs

40 degrees 5,000ft Above Sea Level (ASL)

1000 yards = 1,504 ft/lbs
1400 yards = 933 ft/lbs

40 degrees, 10,000ft ASL

1200 yards = 1,532 ft/lbs
1600 yards = 1,032 ft/lbs

TKC,

I am certainly not hammering you in any way but to be honest, with that round in an accurate rifle, generally the weakest link to long range performance is the pilot.

What you have to ask your self is what is YOUR maximum range for consistantly hitting the vital zone of a big game animal.

What is most important over kenetic energy is bullet performance. You need the bullet to expand to do the work it needs to do efficently. I believe the Accubonds will disrupt to larger then caliber down to as little as 1300 fps.

As far as the effective range of your rifle and load. I personally feel that if your bullet expands you can kill a big game animal because it a bullet of 200 grains with that sectional density hits a big game animal in the vital with enough retained velocity to cause the bullet to expand, you will kill your animal.

Putting that bullet on the mark is up to you however and that is often the most limiting factor. Your rifle has more then enough power for 1200 yard shots, especially on deer size game. On elk, past 1000 yards is pushing it in my opinion with anything but a 338 but That is not to say the big 30 cals will not work well because they certainly will easily kill the largest elk on the planet with a hit in the vitals at ranges even out to a mile.

Again, your rifle and load will not be the limiting facter as far as performance are concerned. It has more to do with the consistancy of the rifle, the conditions you are shooting in and your ability to put the bullet on the mark at what ever range you choose to shoot out to.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks everyone for the info!

Kirby, you are absolutely correct about shot placement. I have no intentions of taking any shot furthur than what I have practiced enough to be confident in taking (including wind conditions and all other factors). Mostly the reason for the question was to see how far to limit my practice to and how far to make my drop chart to. I am also looking for more excuses to have you re-barrel my gun to a 338AM!!!

I appreciate all the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again, Tom

[ QUOTE ]
What you have to ask your self is what is YOUR maximum range for consistantly hitting the vital zone of a big game animal.

What is most important over kenetic energy is bullet performance. You need the bullet to expand to do the work it needs to do efficently.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the best advise in relation to the question at hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I am also looking for more excuses to have you re-barrel my gun to a 338AM!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The 338AM is the elk whomper of all time but you won't get there with a simple rebarrel project. This case dwarfs the 378wby case.

If you go to www.biggameinfo.com they have a great (free!) ballistic calculator.

It will let you play with velocities, ballistic coefficients, altitudes, and temperatures. It will calculate energy, bullet drop, and all the rest of that stuff out to 1500 yards.

Good luck and remember; you are the weakest link! Good-bye.

43pd3t2.jpg

geargrinder,
Firstable, congratualtion to Long Range Hunting, geargrinder, enjoy one of the best places in the net.

[ QUOTE ]
You need to take me to the range and show me how that works.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got it my friend. If I'm able to take you to the range then you would live close to me... right... and the signature... I know you!!!!!! LOL... LOL... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.