Effective range of a .280ai

A long way. :D For example a 150gr Nosler Accubond with a BC=610, launched at 3000fps still has 1000ft/lbs of energy at 900 yards. That should do it.

What is the max effective range of a .280ai for hunting?

Elk?
Deer?
Antelope?

Effective range is a combination of precision and accuracy. Precision can be measured as the size of group the shooter/gun/ammo can obtain in field conditions. Accuracy is the ability to place a shot into the intended size of the target usually estimated within limits of uncertainties such as variations in wind and muzzle velocity. Both combined will provide for an estimate on shot probability, or maximum effective range, dependent on the size game and conditions encountered while hunting. Maximum effective range in most hunting instances will be less than the maximum range a bullet is capable of producing a desired minimum energy or impact velocity. Maximum effective range is not caliber and cartridge dependent and as previously stated is precision and accuracy dependent.

depends on how well the gun shoots and the shooter. If you want put it in the right place it doesn't take a lot of energy to kill.

A 168g Berger at 2900 fps has right at a 1000 lbs. energy at 900 yards. To make it simple if you can hit a paper plate at 900 yards you should be good to go. Like they said it all depends. Weather, wind, and shooters ability to place the shot.

I'll let you know when mine is done being built :D

Serisouly though as others have said there are a lot of variables that go into that equation. However, if you're just talking how far away is it effective then I would say 7-800 yards easy with deer.

describe the set up where talking about.... Last one I had was 16.5lbs and had a 30.5" barrel and with the speeds I was getting elk out too 1000 or deer out to 1400 or so would have been no problem. out of a light hunting rig with a 24" barrel or so it would be a piece less.

With a hotter load I would have to believe elk would be a 8-900 yard and deer sized game 1100 maybe 1200 yards. Will it work further yes, but your pushing your luck for performance a little IMHO. My current rig I am playing with is a 7SAUM with the 168's and I would absolutely trust the rig on Elk at out too 1200 maybe a pinch more and smaller deer out past 1500.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.