Effective Range of 257 Weatherby mag.

Dont get hung up on bc for the 257. I now hunt with a 25 Bobcat { 25 WSM } 100 grain sierra Bt Spitzer 3625 vel. I took an elk last fall with one shot at 450 yards hole was the size of a beer can.
Mike

Long ranger you have any loads for a 100gr ttsx, in a .257 wby?

While Long Range is coming up with a load; here's one that works great in my rifle.
I would suggest you start 15% under and work up with the "ttsx" bullet. I think you'll find it very usable.
.257 Wby Mag 26" inch Accu Mark
Primer - Fed 215 Mag Match
Powder - RL25 76gr
Bullet - 100gr Barnes XLC BT
OAL- 3.770 {don't seat the bullet to far out}
3800 fps
Case Wby {fired once in the rifle then neck size only}

Good luck

Mike33, I found the same thing. It is so fast and flat shooting it is amazing with the 100 grainers. The bc's haven't been an issue.
I feel the 100 grainer will handle anything in conus. I cant post the pic frommy cell phone but you wouldnt believe the hole that 100 sierra spitzer blew in my elk.
mike

I shoot 75 grains of magpro with a cci 250 primer and the 100 grain ttsx at 3760 fps out of a 26" barrel wby mk 5.

The sierra spitzers are extremely accurate in mine but were to fragile so I only shoot varmints with them. You wouldn't believe lighting up a coyote with one of those. I have shot deer with them out of my 25-05 imp and 25 Gibbs with good success.

Thanks 436 and long ranger. I have always shot nosler 100gr Partions out of my 257 wby ,but have been looking to try ttsx bullets out of it.besides I just put a new barrel on it, shot the last one out!

It looks like you did your homework. Will be curious to see how the bullet does in a few tests out farther than the recommended.

Well, just got some 100 grn ttsx for my 257 WBY and was given two new loads to work with,so let's see what I can do.Now I just need to find a new bullet for my warbird.

Well, just got some 100 grn ttsx for my 257 WBY and was given two new loads to work with,so let's see what I can do.Now I just need to find a new bullet for my warbird.
Let me know how the TTSX's work so i can put some on order.gun)

I'm interested to see how the bullets work for you. I've been reading alot of good stuff about the ttsx. This is why these forums are great, we can all learn from these forums. Just bought my 257 last year and can't wait to get a load worked up and do some shooting.

As soon as I get out and shoot , I'll let you know. I can't wait to see what the drop is with the barnes tipped at 600 yards. I hear alot of people say the BC is higher than Barnes has printed .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.