7mm-08 max effective range

Ballsf22

Looking for some advice. My son drew an either sex elk tag in NM this year and is shooting a Remmington 700 in 7mm-08 with a 139 grain Hornady SST round. If the herd shows up as planned (yeah right), his max shot should be 200yds. My wife and I have both been succesful at this area with a max shot of 115 yds. While he can consistently hit a 6 inch square at 350yds, I am guessing this starts to hit the 'unethical' range. Does anyone know if the energy of this combo at 200yds is sufficient? I am going with proper shot placement which I have been teaching him as not a factor. Thanks for any and all replys.

Looking for some advice. My son drew an either sex elk tag in NM this year and is shooting a Remmington 700 in 7mm-08 with a 139 grain Hornady SST round. If the herd shows up as planned (yeah right), his max shot should be 200yds. My wife and I have both been succesful at this area with a max shot of 115 yds. While he can consistently hit a 6 inch square at 350yds, I am guessing this starts to hit the 'unethical' range. Does anyone know if the energy of this combo at 200yds is sufficient? I am going with proper shot placement which I have been teaching him as not a factor. Thanks for any and all replys.

With this bullet and the 708s velocity you have over 1800 ft/lbs of energy at 200 yards.

And more than 1500 ft/lbs at 300 yards. I recommend that for Elk you should have at least 1500 ft/lbs of energy.

So I would limit him to 200 to 250 yard shots.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you JE Custom. I will try to keep him under 150 in case he gets nervous (and so I don't have to pack it out any farther than I have to).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.