max distance for 6.5creedmore

As far as you can place it in a vital spot.
My Creed carries 1k out to 800 or so. That is usually considered to be a "SAFE" energy level but there are so many other factors.
40 MPH wind, 800 is a long waaaaaay.
Dead calm on a bedded small deer and you just made a ranging shot and center punched a rock.....800 isn't that far.
I keep my AR-10 under 800 but I hunt out of a truck and always have a BIG 7mm or 30 cal AND a 338 5 ft away, so I never really need to use it past 800.

For my 6.5cm, pushing a 143eldx at 2785fps, the longest shot on deer that I'm comfortable with would be about 650-700 yards. I know it will go further, but that's what I'm comfortable with...I have other rifles if I need to go farther. Just keep in mind, the 6.5cm was never intended to be an ultra-long range caliber.

I would consider 700 yards a good max range for the 6.5CM(or 260R) on a mature sized whitetail or mule deer. Using a 6.5 with a good, high BC 140, you can count on expansion and killing power(1000FP), if the bullet hits the animal in the vitals at a miinmum of 1800FPS. IMO.

hey, what would be the max safe distance for the 6.5 creedmore 140 gr. on deer

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

"My" unwritten rule is 1000 FT-LBS of energy at point of impact and of course shot placement is still the key.

For instance, if I use a factory ammo like 140 A-Max (2710 FPS, 2283 FT-LBS, .585 G1) and use Hornady's ballistic calculator, at 650 yards it's 1807 FPS and 1015 FT-LBS.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.