Sight in distance

OK...so...dial DOWN....or hold under if you absolutly need to. But I can't imajin that hitting 4" (at most) above POA would put you anywhere near the spine/back straps.

Why anyone would want to have to dial up for a 300 yard shot is beyond me..

Again..just my .02 ...differnt strokes for different folks. :D

I can tell you why i do.

My 50 come up is 1.0
My 100 yd is 0.0
My 200 yd is 2.0
My 300 yd is 4.0

So i set my zero and zero stop at 100. Now everything from 10 yds to 1000 is a positive come up, and i can always bounce down to my 100 yard zero stop and count up for any distance, which happens in the dark more than anything. 100 yards is also very convienient for me where as 2 and 3 hundred not so much.

Ok..so...what is the problem with having the zero stop bottom out 1 - 1.5 moa BELOW "0"?

The zero stop function (to me, anyway) is to make sure that I am on the proper turn on the dial. Before the zero stop...I found myself..several times...on the wrong rotation on the dial....either 10 moa high or low. It usualy happens in front of a bunch of people ..one of those "watch this" moments. It is usually followed by laughter (not mine)!!! :cool:

To me it is as simple as this on non LR shooting...300 yard zero...snap shot... at under 350....boom shoot....gut. Piont and shoot.

With a 100 yard zero same parameters...... you will need to dial up/hold over at anything over..say 200 yards. just one more step.

Again..just my .02,
Tod

Ok..so...what is the problem with having the zero stop bottom out 1 - 1.5 moa BELOW "0"?

I zero stop my scopes 4 MOA below zero. I have never had an issue with returning my scope back to zero. 4 MOA leaves me enough room to dial down my 300 yard zero for a 100 yard zero check if needed.

For my 32X NXS scopes there is no need for the zero stop model with a 20 MOA base. I can't spin past zero any way I try. Even if the scope is 12 MOA below zero before starting to bottom the HS turrets take no time to spin back up.

It's OK that you don't get it!! I ran a 300 yard zero for 20+ years, best thing I ever did was to change to 100 yard and commit to dialing for anything from there, it's faster for me because I know my bullets is going to point of aim so no guessing no mater how small that guess it, every shot follows the same steps every time!

Another reason I zero at 100 is with a 300 yard zero my zero changes .3 in from the lower areas to the higher areas we hunt, it's nit picky but that's just me!

The zero stop function (to me, anyway) is to make sure that I am on the proper turn on the dial. Before the zero stop...I found myself..several times...on the wrong rotation on the dial....either 10 moa high or low. It usualy happens in front of a bunch of people ..one of those "watch this" moments. It is usually followed by laughter (not mine)!!! :cool:

To me it is as simple as this on non LR shooting...300 yard zero...snap shot... at under 350....boom shoot....gut. Piont and shoot.

With a 100 yard zero same parameters...... you will need to dial up/hold over at anything over..say 200 yards. just one more step.

Again..just my .02,
Tod

Theres nothing wrong with having your zerostop below youre zero. Just another way of doing things.

There is less error in zero hold shots with a 300 yard zero but even less error for people who dial every shot ,like me and bigngreen. When dialing for every shot setting my zero and zerostop at my lowest elevation makes sense to me. If you run with quick holds a 300 yd zero may make more sense. 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other.

For zero I use 360 yds., 330 yds., 300 yds., 210 yds., 200 yds.. Different zero's for different game...

Hogginking

When hunting in the bushveld I prefer to zero at 50yrds because you rarely shoot further than 100yrds.

When hunting plains game I prefer to zero in at 100yrds, hold over just that tad up to 200yrds and anything from 300yrds upwards I like to dial it in!

I basically zero at 200 with a BDC turret. In reality I zero my gun at a middle yardage of the turret. Typical turrets go from 200-600 yards for me. I zero them on their 400 yard mark which helps spread out any slight error. I don't shoot competition and the animals I shoot at won't notice a 1/2" error for the yardage they are standing at.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.