Matrix VLD hunting bullets

Methow Packer

What can you guys tell me about Matrix bullets. I've been on their web site and have read where they mention .270 caliber 175 grain with an incredibly high BC. How do they compare to others? Has there been any articles on this companies product? How are they as a hunting bullet? Berger is a house hold word these days. How does Matrix compare?

Wish I could comment on performance, but haven't killed anything but targets with them (yet). Have loaded them in a few different rifles (6.5-06,270, 7mm rem mag, 308win, 300 win mag), all were incredibly accurate and didn't seem to be fussy on seating depth (I load to mag length). My cheapie 308 (Stevens 200 with Rifle Basix trigger and Boyds stock) consistently puts 5 in 1" at 200 yards. Hoping to get out soon and try some longer ranges and hopefully find a deer.

Would like to hear if anyone's done penetration tests with the .308 168's, 185's and 210's.

Thanks Sundance for the info. I have a 300WM , 270WSM and a 243 that I want to use these on. The BC on these bullets are incredible. I noticed it pays to order two or more boxes to benefit by the SH cost. I'll try the 165gr in my 270WSM and 180 in the 300WM. I assume they are similar to the other VLD hunting bullets out there for hunting performance. We'll see

I can speak for the 270 cals that they take your 270 to the next level of performance both in accuracy and their ability to put the smack down on game. I really like the 165 and have taken dozens of animals ranging from antelope to elk out to the 900 yard range. They are thee bullet in the 270 cal right now, J4 jackets same as Berger but a little less aggressive on the design, I use a .336 G7 BC for the 165's. The BC's on the site are calculated static BC's so they will be higher but still useful for comparing bullet to bullet.

Thanks Sundance for the info. I have a 300WM , 270WSM and a 243 that I want to use these on. The BC on these bullets are incredible. I noticed it pays to order two or more boxes to benefit by the SH cost. I'll try the 165gr in my 270WSM and 180 in the 300WM. I assume they are similar to the other VLD hunting bullets out there for hunting performance. We'll see

If you can, please post some on game results. Not sure I'll have much time to do any testing/hunting this fall due to a flooded house and buggered back.

I can speak for the 270 cals that they take your 270 to the next level of performance both in accuracy and their ability to put the smack down on game. I really like the 165 and have taken dozens of animals ranging from antelope to elk out to the 900 yard range. They are thee bullet in the 270 cal right now, J4 jackets same as Berger but a little less aggressive on the design, I use a .336 G7 BC for the 165's. The BC's on the site are calculated static BC's so they will be higher but still useful for comparing bullet to bullet.

What cartridge and twist are you running?

:)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUo7xSbirvs]Long Range Mule Deer Hunt - 670 Yard Shot - 270 WSM - YouTube[/ame]

This is a range report, but it might be useful:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/270-win-165-175-matrix-range-report-118585/

You should be able to run the 165's from a 10 twist at any elevation. I'm up high enough that I am stabilizing the 175's from a 10 twist. I'm driving them at 2840 fps from a 24" McGowen tube, so I am out performing most 7mm Mags with them!

As for performance on game, I have put down one bull elk at 430 yards with them. The shot placement was not the best (my first bull and it had been 10 years since my last elk, I had the fever!), but two shots put him down without a need to trail him. One bullet tore through the high back creating a 2" exit wound, and the other we could not find, even after skinning.

Not the most scientific data, but I hope it helps!

I have used the 165 .277 Matrix on 1 Oryx in New Mexico, Oryx, Wildebeest, Kudu, , Blesbok, Impala, Springbuck, and Steenbuck in Africa. All 1 shot kills except the Africa Oryx, and he was at 605 yards. It took two for him. He was dead on his feet, the second shot was insurance. My rifle is a Win. M70 Extreme Weather in 270 WSM w/ a Huskemaw 5X20. My load is 68 gr. Retumbo w/Fed. 215 M primer seated .015 off the lands. I get 3000 fps w/ this load. Same gun, same bullet, will be going back to Africa with me in May 2014 for more Plains Game. I am also going to be taking a SAKO in 300WSM w/ 194 Matrix Bullets.
I live in New Mexico where it is almost impossible to draw a tag, so in 2012 I threw in the towel and went to Africa. I only wish that I had started doing this 20 years ago. I can go to Africa and hunt plains game a hell of a lot cheaper than I go drive 100 miles to Chama New Mexico and hunt Elk!

I have used the 165 .277 Matrix on 1 Oryx in New Mexico, Oryx, Wildebeest, Kudu, , Blesbok, Impala, Springbuck, and Steenbuck in Africa. All 1 shot kills except the Africa Oryx, and he was at 605 yards. It took two for him. He was dead on his feet, the second shot was insurance. My rifle is a Win. M70 Extreme Weather in 270 WSM w/ a Huskemaw 5X20. My load is 68 gr. Retumbo w/Fed. 215 M primer seated .015 off the lands. I get 3000 fps w/ this load. Same gun, same bullet, will be going back to Africa with me in May 2014 for more Plains Game. I am also going to be taking a SAKO in 300WSM w/ 194 Matrix Bullets.
I live in New Mexico where it is almost impossible to draw a tag, so in 2012 I threw in the towel and went to Africa. I only wish that I had started doing this 20 years ago. I can go to Africa and hunt plains game a hell of a lot cheaper than I go drive 100 miles to Chama New Mexico and hunt Elk!

Where in Africa do you go to hunt?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts