Matrix VLD bullets in .284 and .277.

barnesuser28

I was on matrix's website and noticed that the .277 165 and 175 grain VLDs said they were for hunting but the .284 190 grain VLD didn't say anything about hunting and I sent Matrix an email and they said the 190 grain VLDs are not recommended for hunting. But under the description of how they were made they both said the same thing. Has anyone used the .277 165 or 175 grain VLDs, or the .284 190 grain VLD for hunting?

P.S he said the rbbt bullets would expand down to 1200 fps, does anyone have confirmation on this?

I shoot the 190 matrix out of my 7 300 Norma at 3435 fps. I have only shot one deer at 365 yards. I had great results. I was also amazed how accurate they shot. Out of all the bullets I shot the matrix grouped the best.

I shoot a lot of the 165 Matrix and some 175's, great bullets in my opinion. The are not as aggressive a design as the Berger but us J4 jackets. We've killed a lot of elk and deer with the 165 from our 270 wins and 270 WSMs. They work a lot like the Berger, and leave a very good wound channel, blew two very nice holes through a bull last year at 865 yards. The VLD won't expand reliably to 1200fps, I have a couple that I found that I shot at 1900 yards with my WSM and they are just above that and some will open and some will be bent bananas. I would bet the hunting rbbt bonded bullets would open lower though because they have a giant meplat. The have been the most accurate bullet I've shot in what ever I've shot them in. I just got another few hundred today for this hunting season gun)
I'm going to give the 190 a try if I ever get a 7-300 Norma mag built.

Have you recovered any bullets? How much weight did they retain? I'm temted to try them once i get a high power 7mm, im thinking 284 winchester or 7mm-338 Lapua. Lightly loaded of course.

My brother-in-law used the 190's in his RUM last year and killed a cow at 350yds, they worked just like the Bergers. We have been shooting the 165's in some 270WSM's and have been very happy with their accuracy.(no animals with them yet but big green has used them with success)

They are much like a Berger, they open after a couple inches and at close range they continue to open fast and those you'll find under the hide on the of side but once they slow down a little bit they blow through every thing and I have yet to catch one even in elk shot through the shoulders at long range. It's what you get with long heavy for cal bullets, a great ability to drive though game while doing significant damage and at close range even though they open and shed weight aggressively they have the bullet to back it up and drive deep before stopping.
An elk at close range shot through the shoulders will stop the 165 Matrix but they won't live to tell the tale, you'll basically have a jacket on the of side under the hide but it leaves a blown hole clean through all that bone, we took several good bulls last year at very close range and the 165 yanked the rug on them hard.
The 165 Matrix in a 270 gives me the wound channel, sectional density and accuracy I'm looking for on elk, the 190 should be awesome in the 7mm!!

I worked up a load with the 168gr matrix bullets, but when i went to order more I found he had added another $20 onto the shipping which put them out of my price range for what I want to do with them. Luckily Berger released their 168gr Hybrid in 7mm, both bullets shoot waay better than I can :cool: so I can't say to much about which one is more accurate. But their both very easy to get that accuracy out of.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.