Do Matrix VLD hunting bullets have to be close to the lands?

gamehawker

I'm thinking about getting some Matrix .284 VLD 168gr bullets & the Matrix .284 VLD 190gr bullets to reload for my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

Do you have to load Matrix VLD hunting bullets have to be close to the lands like Berger VLD bullets?

If that is the case they may not work with my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs with the standard magazine in them.

I would prefer not to reload for single shots out of my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs and want my reloads to fit in the magazine.

TIA

Shooting the 6.5cal bullets my rifle shows a preference for .090 off the lands, but they seem to tolerate a wide range of seating depths while keeping under .5MP3
Cliff

Thanks!

I just ordered a box (100 pieces) of the Matrix VLD .284 168 grain.

I thought the 190 grain would not work that well with my 9 1/4 twist in my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

I haven't found them to be fussy at all. Every rifle I've tried them in (1/2 dozen or so) is loaded to mag length right off the bat, so I don't even bother measuring the jump anymore. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have always been able to work up an accurate load without having to change my OAL.

Well I found out they don't have to be close to the lands! :D

Well I was up in West Virginia at my Parent's home this weekend and my Pop has a shooting lane to 300 yards and further.

Below is a 300 yard shot 3 shot group with a 168 grain VLD Matrix bullet / H1000 powder with one of my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

The grouping measures .729

The velocity averaged 3,192 fps.

Attachments

• 300 yard 3 shot group 7mm STW 168 VLD Matrix3.jpg
    300 yard 3 shot group 7mm STW 168 VLD Matrix3.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.