Match bullets.......Hunting bullets???

FMJ for hogs suck, even a 308 with M80 sucks bad. Shoot them in the shoulder it could come out the butt or the head, but usually just pencils right through. Even M193 out of a 20" up close doesn't do anything neat. Kills them yes, and they usually run off where guys don't have to deal with recovery but doesn't work well even when you put 5-7 rounds on them. In open country you can recover the hog and take pics, but where I usually hunt they are lost. I like to eat them so I am using expanding bullets, even a 60 grain Vmax 223 is a WAY more efficient killer than a 308 with ball from what I see and the guys I talk to.
FMJ aren't typically "match" bullets. Usually cheap surplus ammo. We're not comparing apples to apples there.

Since nobody has given an opinion here I'll chime in.

If you're using a "marginal" cartridge for your specific game (such as a 223 for whitetail) I feel like a hunting bullet is highly recommended. If you can use a "oversized" cartridge (such as 300 WM for whitetail) your bullet selection isn't as important.

Of course placement is key. I often hunt whitetail with a 338 lapua. Believe it or not, I've never lost an animal and I shoot match bullets. In these highly scientific experiments that I have conducted, I have found that most living creatures are useless without their heads or vital organs.

My personal go-to loads for each of my HUNTING rifles: ("Hunting" bullets in red)

.223 69 SMK
6CM 105 Hyb
25CM 135 LR Hyb (haven't hunted with this rifle yet, but I definitely will)
25 SST 131BJ or 135 LR Hyb
6.5SLR 130 OTM
.260AI 140 Hyb (haven't hunted with this rifle yet, but I definitely will)
6.5SS (20") 130 TMK and 130 OTM
6.5SS (26") 150 SMK or 156 Elite
.280AI 175 Elite
7SS 184 Hyb
7RM 180 Hyb
28 Nosler 195 Elite
.300RUM 230 Hyb

All bullets can fail……all bullets can work! However, it would be prudent to chose the bullet that offered the higher probability of success within it's design parameters…..not the bullets that has a lower probability of success!

Buying a lottery ticket doesn't mean that you will win the lottery…. But, it could happen! I certainly wouldn't go buy a large yacht assuming that I would win! memtb

You mean …..aside from being wrong on all counts! 😉 memtb
You sound like my wife!

This reminds me of the fixed vs mechanical debates that rage on archery talk.

If I hit an elk in the guts, id rather have a eld-m

If I hit an elk in the shoulder, I'd rather have a mono

If I hit an elk through both lungs, it doesn't matter

If I shoot an elk in heavy timber, I'd rather have a mono

If I am hunting open country or shooting across canyons I'd rather have an eldm.

My point being, none are right and none are wrong. Pick what you feel comfortable with but telling people what does and doesn't work is just wrong. We aim for the perfect shot, but as we all know, stuff happens.