Why do you use Match bullets hunting?

Why do you use Match bullets for hunting, or do you?

• Because they are most accurate from my gun and I don't handload!

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Because I'm careful with shot placement and want all energy dumped in animal.

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • I do handload and still prefer and use match bullets for hunting.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I use them for deer size animals only, 300lb and up I use a hunting design.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Using match bullets for hunting deer size or larger animals is not wise.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Only hunting bullets for me, Penetration is required for my hunting at any angle.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • It's what I could fined/buy, and I see many videos of people shooting them. Should be good!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only use certain match bullets that are known to be effective, shot placement is king.

Votes: 68 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coop2564

Seems many people use match bullets for hunting, curious to why? Industry as a whole seems to discourage it. But Long range groups seems to use them and promote it. Many hunting bullets just will not function at longer ranges, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Lighter construction of target bullets often work like tougher hunting bullets at 400 and beyond. What's your take?

deer-eats-popcorn_keep going.gif

I don't use match bullets hunting but I do use Barnes TTSX which have behaved like a match bullet on 4 occasions. Penciled right through. The only thing I can think of for using match bullets is if you are planning on shooting long range the ethical thing to do is practice a whole bunch at distance. Target shooting gets expensive with hunting projectiles.
So people practise with a match bullet and then don't want to chance missing or a bad shot at difference with a different bullet in the field. So the question then becomes what's more ethical a bullet that might not perform like it should at distance or a potentially wounded animal. I personally practice with hunting projectiles no matter the cost. Pick a high BC accurate bullet and go with it.

So I have to ask . Do you think it makes less difference with caliber ? I have guns that shoot great with any bullets like my contender carbine custom chambered 222 magnum ai . That's just banging steel at out to 300 yards . My current "hunting"rifle a Browning a bolt medallion 7wsm shoots the old Winchester silver tips 140 gr and the federal 160 gr accubonds like a laser . But won't group Hornady 162 eld-x for s*** . The main reason I ask is because Mr Allen will be shipping out a beautiful 338 Allen Express next week . Will an animal really know the difference , deer or similar size , lets say around 500 yard with that large of hole going into it or through it . This is a real question not a fire starter . It's my first custom and largest caliber to date . I figured if was jumping in , go to the deepest darkest end of the pool and go head first ! 🤣 🤣

Seems many people use match bullets for hunting, curious to why? Industry as a whole seems to discourage it. But Long range groups seems to use them and promote it. Many hunting bullets just will not function at longer ranges, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Lighter construction of target bullets often work like tougher hunting bullets at 400 and beyond. What's your take?
What testing does industry do?
The current Berger "hunting" bullets used to be Berger target bullets. The only change was hunters reporting good results with them. So Berger took those target bullets and changed the label to "hunting" This is according to Berger.
So Berger did zero testing of their bullets, with regard to hunting.

When I started guiding full time nearly 20 years ago, I was definitely not a fan of these new "Berger" bullets that I was seeing guys hunt with on the hunting shows, and DVDs back then. Since then, I've seen Berger's used in nearly every caliber from 6mm to 338 to cleanly take Bull Elk from 25 yards to 600. I've never seen one fail to dispatch an animal very quickly, even shot angles weren't ideal.

We've also used the 123 Amax out of a lowly creedmoor to kill piles of Muley bucks, all with a single shot.

I don't use match bullets hunting but I do use Barnes TTSX which have behaved like a match bullet on 4 occasions. Penciled right through. The only thing I can think of for using match bullets is if you are planning on shooting long range the ethical thing to do is practice a whole bunch at distance. Target shooting gets expensive with hunting projectiles.
So people practise with a match bullet and then don't want to chance missing or a bad shot at difference with a different bullet in the field. So the question then becomes what's more ethical a bullet that might not perform like it should at distance or a potentially wounded animal. I personally practice with hunting projectiles no matter the cost. Pick a high BC accurate bullet and go with it.
At what impact velocity did the TTSX bullets pencil?? I've taken over 50 animals with various forms of Barnes bullets and my friends another 20 and none have penciled for us, but our impact velocities have been over 2200 FPS. I think probably your velocity was much lower??

At what impact velocity did the TTSX bullets pencil?? I've taken over 50 animals with various forms of Barnes bullets and my friends another 20 and none have penciled for us, but our impact velocities have been over 2200 FPS. I think probably your velocity was much lower??
7mm rem mag MV 3200fps 150gr TTSX shot a cow moose at 80 yards penciled through 2 shoulders. Exit was smaller than entrance. The rest were mule deer shot at 100-150 yards. Killed all animals quick but no sign of expansion. Now I haven't given up on them I'm going to chalk it up to maybe a bad lot. So I have 100 from a different lot completely and am going to try them out.

What testing does industry do?
The current Berger "hunting" bullets used to be Berger target bullets. The only change was hunters reporting good results with them. So Berger took those target bullets and changed the label to "hunting" This is according to Berger.
So Berger did zero testing of their bullets, with regard to hunting.
AGREE with This ^^^ Well,.. Said !
Personally I, had shied AWAY from using Berger's ( Read all, the "Bad Internet" opinions, BS ! ) .. UNTIL,. BignGreen convinced me to try them, AFTER having, a poor experience with, an AccuBond doing it's, "SLOW Kill, thing" ( Tiny, Mushroom ) on, an Elk !
Best advice on Hunting, Bullets that, I've ever got ! These lil' fudg'ers, Kill as good as, My .338 Win Mag,.. EVER,..did !
140 grain Berg. Classic Hunters @ 3,175 FPS, in a .270 WSM, Kill's,.. "Like, the Hammer of, Thor" !
AND,. they ARE,.. "Match, Accurate" !!!

Last edited:
7mm rem mag MV 3200fps 150gr TTSX shot a cow moose at 80 yards penciled through 2 shoulders. Exit was smaller than entrance. The rest were mule deer shot at 100-150 yards. Killed all animals quick but no sign of expansion. Now I haven't given up on them I'm going to chalk it up to maybe a bad lot. So I have 100 from a different lot completely and am going to try them out.
Barnes bullets are a controlled expansion bullet. So they arent going to make as big of a hole or wound channel. They are designed to penetrate. Ill guarantee they expanded, the problem is they just dont expand that much.