Why do you use Match bullets hunting?

Why do you use Match bullets for hunting, or do you?

• Because they are most accurate from my gun and I don't handload!

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Because I'm careful with shot placement and want all energy dumped in animal.

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • I do handload and still prefer and use match bullets for hunting.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I use them for deer size animals only, 300lb and up I use a hunting design.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Using match bullets for hunting deer size or larger animals is not wise.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Only hunting bullets for me, Penetration is required for my hunting at any angle.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • It's what I could fined/buy, and I see many videos of people shooting them. Should be good!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only use certain match bullets that are known to be effective, shot placement is king.

Votes: 68 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What "match bullets" do you hunt with?

Before you get defensive, I hunt with 85% match bullets too.
Lance, I typically hunt 225eldM .30 for shots from 600-1400yds. I also have a lot of Berger Hybrid. I use Hammer, Accubonds or typical Cup&core bullets for shots 0-500yds, Its like a bag of golf clubs, I always like to have the right tool for the job!

Lance, I typed this really early this morning and never hit send…..HA
James

7mm rem mag MV 3200fps 150gr TTSX shot a cow moose at 80 yards penciled through 2 shoulders. Exit was smaller than entrance. The rest were mule deer shot at 100-150 yards. Killed all animals quick but no sign of expansion. Now I haven't given up on them I'm going to chalk it up to maybe a bad lot. So I have 100 from a different lot completely and am going to try them out.
This has been my experience as well. 7 mag 140 TTSX. 3200 at muzzle. 100 yd shot. It didnt pencil you could see the x mark through the lungs so it opened. But tissue damage was localized looked like a deer shot with a broadhead. Unlike say a 140 ballistic tip where the lungs are jello and extensive damage. I can only think at that high sectional density and little resistance going through a deers ribcage was the issue. I also believe that a bullet that retains 100% of it's weight is not transferring energy to the animal unlike a cup and core with may lose 25-50% of it's weight depending on bullet design.

7mm rem mag MV 3200fps 150gr TTSX shot a cow moose at 80 yards penciled through 2 shoulders. Exit was smaller than entrance. The rest were mule deer shot at 100-150 yards. Killed all animals quick but no sign of expansion. Now I haven't given up on them I'm going to chalk it up to maybe a bad lot. So I have 100 from a different lot completely and am going to try them out.
Hmmmm, I wonder if instead of expanding maybe it peeled off the petals and the main portion of the body exists the other side??

Hmmmm, I wonder if instead of expanding maybe it peeled off the petals and the main portion of the body exists the other side??
No there was a clear x wound channel through the internals and exit. Awesome blood trail much like a bow shot deer for 150 yds. But no internal tissue damage.

Here are my requirements for a hunting bullet, if one of you could kindly recommend one that meets these criteria, I'll buy you a 🍺

1. Just shoot sub half MOA at all ranges

2. Must hold together at 3200 fps impact velocity.

3. Must reliably expand at 1600 fps impact velocity.

4. Must pass give a clean pass through, for a good blood trail.

5. Mist also dump all its energy inside the animal.

6. I also need a perfectly formed mushroom looking bullet to recover, and post pics on the Internet for points.

Thanks in advance!

Here are my requirements for a hunting bullet, if one of you could kindly recommend one that meets these criteria, I'll buy you a 🍺

6. I also need a perfectly formed mushroom looking bullet to recover, and post pics on the Internet for points.

Thanks in advance!
Dang…. I was that close 🤏

Has anyone ever seen a bullet labeled as hunting, that failed in an animal? Has anyone here ever had a bullet labeled as a target bullet perform well taking an animal? Is it a fail if the animal runs any distance before dying? Is it a failure if the animal dies on the spot, but there is unacceptable meat loss? There are lots of factors that could/can affect the outcome with any bullet. Choose wisely as it can really suck when you get it wrong.

Has anyone ever seen a bullet labeled as hunting, that failed in an animal? Has anyone here ever had a bullet labeled as a target bullet perform well taking an animal? Is it a fail if the animal runs any distance before dying? Is it a failure if the animal dies on the spot, but there is unacceptable meat loss? There are lots of factors that could/can affect the outcome with any bullet. Choose wisely as it can really suck when you get it wrong.

Good post. Any can fail, also any can successfully take game.

Other things mentioned are pretty much, dependent upon where the animal was hit, how many vital organs were damaged/destroyed, and if the animal was pumped-up on adrenaline with the bloodstream fully oxygenated.

So for myself, I would desire a bullet that has a proven track record of good performance on game, from most any shot angle and has proven reliability for deep penetration and bullet weight retention…..even if heavy bone is encountered. That bullet must also be accurate in my firearm.

The distance at which the shot is taken, is determined by the above described bullet's accuracy potential, and the maximum distance at which "said bullet" will give complete expansion……Match Bullet or otherwise!

If this means that I can't brag about the extreme range at which I shot my game…..so be it! Respect for the game should be a prerequisite! memtb

Thanks in advance!
SWIFT SCIROCCO BULLETS. 🤣🤭

Recent Posts