Match bullets.......Hunting bullets???

Since you are somewhat inexperienced you should probably stick with a hunting bullet. Accubond, Berger , ballistic tip and eldx. All will shoot good at distance and open up when connecting. Match bullets can and do work but I choose a hunting bullet. It's still a somewhat free country and everyone can make that choice for themselves.

I was told Match bullets were for the range. But now hearing guys are hunting with them. You guys got any opinions on this?
Yes! Those guys, "I" included, are proving whoever told you those match bullets are for the range only, is wrong. Not ALL bullets, target or hunting/lead-free or not, are created equal. My best advice is until you gain enough experience and due diligence in conducting your research about other bullets, stick with what you know works for your intended purpose.

NOTE: If you are in possession of a Berger 215, STOP IMMEDIATELY DO NOT USE IT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE IT.

Last edited:
I only have experience with Sierra 7mm 150gr HPBT match bullet shooting deer. It worked great on numerous deer until I shot one that went between two ribs and exited between two ribs. I recovered the buck, but I only found 2-3 drops of blood, the shot placement was great so that was not an issue.
The last deer I killed with that bullet was a really nice buck that I shot through the shoulders, breaking both front legs, yes it was a little low but it went through the shoulders and the exit hole was probably the same size as the 7mm bullet. With both front legs broken, he did not go far, but that's when I stopped using a match bullet to shoot deer with.
Until now I have not considered using any more match bullets to hunt with but I know some people who I trust that use 215gr 30cal Bergers and they tell me those bullets not only shoot great but also do a great job if you put the bullet through the ribs.
If anyone else has any experience with the 215gr Bergers that they shot a deer with that went through the shoulders, quartering shot, or from the rear to the front would be appreciated, even though I have never shot one from back to front I'd like to know how they work on deer size animals just in case that's the only shot I have a monster WT or MD.

Yes! Those guys, "I" included, are proving whoever told you those match bullets are for the range only. Not ALL bullets, target or hunting/lead-free or not, are created equal. My best advice is until you gain enough experience and due diligence in conducting your research about other bullets, stick with what you know works for your intended purpose.

NOTE: If you are in possession of a Berger 215, STOP IMMEDIATELY DO NOT USE IT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE IT.
Why the note?

Ok I'm fairly inexperienced with different bullets. Over the years I didn't really shoot targets much. Only to sight my rifle in for deer season. So I shot factory winchester power points and rarely shot over 100 yards. We just didn't have the money to set and shoot.
Anyway things change and recently I have got into the long range shooting and reloading my own bullets. There is sooooooooo much out there. Not that you can find anything anymore. But I put a post up about questionable hunting bullet, and got some folks that sounds like they hunt with MATCH bullets. I was told Match bullets were for the range. But now hearing guys are hunting with them. You guys got any opinions on this?
If you are in possession of 30cal 215gr Berger's and stop using them tag me and let's make a deal on them so I'll have a few.

1541D42A-A781-4E44-B348-1F4066BB0009.gif

I only have experience with Sierra 7mm 150gr HPBT match bullet shooting deer. It worked great on numerous deer until I shot one that went between two ribs and exited between two ribs. I recovered the buck, but I only found 2-3 drops of blood, the shot placement was great so that was not an issue.
The last deer I killed with that bullet was a really nice buck that I shot through the shoulders, breaking both front legs, yes it was a little low but it went through the shoulders and the exit hole was probably the same size as the 7mm bullet. With both front legs broken, he did not go far, but that's when I stopped using a match bullet to shoot deer with.
Until now I have not considered using any more match bullets to hunt with but I know some people who I trust that use 215gr 30cal Bergers and they tell me those bullets not only shoot great but also do a great job if you put the bullet through the ribs.
If anyone else has any experience with the 215gr Bergers that they shot a deer with that went through the shoulders, quartering shot, or from the rear to the front would be appreciated, even though I have never shot one from back to front I'd like to know how they work on deer size animals just in case that's the only shot I have a monster WT or MD.
This is exactly why I said what I did about preferring polymer tipped match bullets if I'm going to use them for hunting. It's pretty much a certainty that there's never an "ice pick" or pencil thin wound channel like what happened with your Sierra. Can't count on tumbling. I've heard in general that Sierra matchkings (along with hornady bthp and Nosler rdfs) should be avoided for that reason - mixed reports about lapua scenars, good reports about berger hunting vlds but hey, they designed them for that, just including them because they're an OTM and not tipped. But tipped match bullets are like grenades inside. Be sure to sue the heaviest for caliber one you can stabilize out of an appropriately large cartridge imo. 225 eld m out of a .300 win mag is an "off" switch.

My viewpoint:
Myth: "Match bullets should not be used for hunting!"
Fact: "The effectiveness of bullet used for hunting, whether labeled "Match" or "Hunting, is determined by the parameters of distance, game, shot placement, and, knowledge of the given bullets internal/external ballistic performance under those conditions.

My go-to for 200-1000Yard+ medium game for over a decade has been a Target Match 142gr JLK. It has accounted for dozens of effective kill shots. Unfortnately discontinued, I was fortunate enough to have the late Steve Mulholland(Swampy) of Swampworks produce a large supply to last the life of my barrel. Of course this remains to be seen. One of several retrieved bullets. This one from a 600 yard mule deer…retention 62%.

D732FD79-F1DF-42DE-8CA9-073DFB634DAE.jpeg

There is clearly no defined line between "target" bullets and "hunting" bullets. Berger bullets that are now sold as "hunting" bullets were formally sold as "match" bullets. Their newer "match" bullets (generally) have thicker jackets which weren't used back then.

In an early edition of the Hornady reloading manual it specifically states that their A-Max "target" bullets were considered good hunting bullets when used on thin skinned biggame animals. I shot a truckload of whitetails with their 162gr A-Max bullet launched from a custom 7STW. Either on the shoulder or behind the shoulder, it was lights out!

In the past I have shot deer and hogs with 30 cal 168 A-max from about 30-130 yards and they do kill very well. I haven't hit bones larger than a rib going in and MV is 2840, very high confidence bullet for me in these applications and accuracy is extremely good. That said, if I could find some Speer 165 BTSP or some Sierra GameKing I would switch in a heartbeat. Not a fan of the solid copper bullets of any flavor but haven't used the current darling mono bullets either. Years ago the mono bullets had a very narrow speed window that they worked extremely well in, and outside that window they were OK to poor. With more standard caliber rifles I walked away and never looked back when I could select a heavy for caliber cup and core bullet launched at a reasonable speed that worked very well over a much wider speed window. I'm not a shoulder shooter so I haven't needed the uber cool bonded super bullets either in standard caliber rifles. That said I have some magnum rifles that I plan to use more going forward. I haven't shot much game with magnums that are shooting much higher velocity than what I have used mainly in the past so I have gathered a supply of good bonded bullets in medium to heavy for caliber weights and very heavy for caliber cup and core bullets. That way whatever shoots well will work well on game.

Ok ok I'll play. Here are 3 pass throughs from this year. 180 eldms out of a 7saum. 100 cow, 575 bull, 834 on the antelope.

Attachments

• 2FF400B8-99B0-406B-BEC1-45A44C7BB3DC.jpeg
    2FF400B8-99B0-406B-BEC1-45A44C7BB3DC.jpeg
    873.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 72205273-E3AA-4EC6-BDB0-068163E52806.jpeg
    72205273-E3AA-4EC6-BDB0-068163E52806.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
  • BAAB7975-85E2-4335-BC15-1D9D89CED422.jpeg
    BAAB7975-85E2-4335-BC15-1D9D89CED422.jpeg
    954.3 KB · Views: 98