Manners vs McMillan

diderr

I don't mean to beat the dead horse on this one guys. But I'm on the brink of starting my next build and I'm torn between a mcmillan a5 or a Manners MCS t2. I was going to get the McMillan, but the site I was going to get it through raised their price therefore making it $60 more than the Manners. Both are in stock. I've shot a5's before and really liked them. Is there much difference other than the Manners has the aluminum block? I'm going to glass and pillar bed anyway.
Thanks.

The biggest difference is that you can drop the manners from 30,000ft onto a highway, drive over it with a truck and then put it back on your rifle and it will still perform perfectly.

They are just tougher than hell.

I had a friend years ago on a Colorado hunt that lost his Manners stocked rifle down a slide over over 2000ft when his pack horse got spooked and started bucking and rearing.

It was chipped up in a few places and the scope beaten flat, but the stock was still perfectly serviceable as was the action.gun)

You can't possibly make a mistake buying from either of those two manufacturers when it comes to quality.

Both are excellent stocks. If re-sale value was a consideration, the McMillan gets the edge. Bedding block, or not is more personal preference. I have found no difference in accuracy or stability between the two when supplementary bedding is used.

I'd have been eating horse meat for the next couple weeks.....

That sucks about your buddy's gun. I'd have been more than ****ed off.

I like HS Precision, too. They make some quality stocks, as well.

When speaking about the block in the Manners; are you talking about the mini-chassis?

I have two Manners MCT-5's, one with the mini-chassis (7saum) & one set to run single chooter (6.5wsm).

I have a McMillan A-5 on my 6mm-284 and another (that should have been here by now) on order for the rebuild of my 338 RUM.

To be fair, the Manners are the newest to me & i'm still getting used to them. I prefer the A-5 as of right now but that may be due to being far more familiar with the A-5.

The one thing I can tell you w/o bias is the feel. When new the Manners came unpainted & my McMillan came in the gel coat finish. From that perspective the McMillan felt WAY better to me. Honestly the Manners felt like a 2x4 with a thumbhole in it. The bag rider surface was crooked as was the forend draft (flatspot in the forend where your sling swivels would attach). The McMillan was not. When I had Chad install the adjustable cheekpiece in my WSM, the butstock was filled with some sort of fiber crap that caused Chad to stuff some of his filler material epoxy stuff in there to have something to fit the fasteners too.. .to be fair the McMillan came from the factory with the adj hardware.

Now, yes those are minor things that can be fixed relatively easily, but for waiting 6mon or whatever & paying what I payed.... That's why I ordered another McMillan last time.

To recap, the Manners is a very strong stock & finished, it's very good looking I have no qualms about that. If I run out of ammo, I feel confident I could use my Manners stock to beat my intended quary to death :D caveman style.

I tried pretty hard to NOT have my post sound like a Manners thrash-a-thon. I hope that's not what you took from it, I would own another Manners in a heartbeat if the circumstances were right.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.