Mcmillan or manners?

Gurnz

Looking to build a 260 or 6.5 284 by next year. Mostly going to hunt with it but might do a little long range competition if I can find some shoots in my area. Which stock would be better? McMillan or Manners? Any other suggestions? Haven't decided if I want adjustable cheek considering i'll mostly be hunting with it. Thanks for any advice

Looking to build a 260 or 6.5 284 by next year. Mostly going to hunt with it but might do a little long range competition if I can find some shoots in my area. Which stock would be better? McMillan or Manners? Any other suggestions? Haven't decided if I want adjustable cheek considering i'll mostly be hunting with it. Thanks for any advice

Go to their websites and look at all of the models and see which one you like. As a general rule, I think the manners stocks are a little lighter than McMillan. They both make excellent stocks so you can't go wrong.

I have a manners T2 on my 7 SAUM and I love it. I put an adjustable saddle style cheek piece and it works great. I do have to remove it when I clean my rifle. I highly recomend Manners and an adjustable cheek piece. Not to mention it is much quicker to get a Manners compared to a McMillan. When I ordered mine, 2 summers ago, McMillan had about a year wait and my Manners was done in just a couple months.

If you can find someone with a couple, meet up and try them out. It's hard to appreciate a stock from pictures on the website. Get them in your hands and see what feels right.

Presonally I like my McM A3s and Rem Var. For hunting, I also like to do a McM rem classic, hunter, or varmint; and do a mid weight rifle.

Last edited:
I have both brands and like them both never had an issue. You will have to wait for atleast 6 months for a McMillian unless your smith has one or you can find one. Generally Manners are a little lighter but if you go with an adjustable cheak piecr it will add one lb to the stock.

Good luck I agree if you can find someone that has one of the model you are looking at take a look and lay behind them if possible

Good Luck looking forward to seeing what you go with

They are both world class stocks for sure. The McMillan stocks have more finish options as far as gel coat color combos but the Manner stocks offer the digital camo patterns and now have molded in camo patterns as well.

Used to be that McMillan had a huge advantage in stock model options, not so much the case anymore with Manners really pushing hard to expand their list of models and options.

Pretty much, most stock designes from McMillan now have a Manners counterpart.

In reality, it comes down to personal preference and thats about it. I have used both, I currently own both and I have fitted many dozens of both of these stocks and never had a problem. Take your pick, you really can not go wrong with either of these great stocks.

Thanks for all the great advice from everyone. Your input is greatly appreciated. On that note would you say that the 6.5 284 would be a better choice for an all around hunting gun for deer and maybe elk?

With the right bullet, the 6.5-284 is plenty for anything up to elk as long as its used correctly. I would not call it a 1000 yard elk rifle though. Deer on the other hand, its much better suited to long range hunting.

Camshaft,

Not sure but I think your mistaken about the Manner stocks being in stock ready to ship. I see nothing on that page that says anything about there being any of these stock ready to ship.

The section that said "stocks in this box are in stock and ready to ship" has no stocks listed in the box.

IN two places it says Manner stocks take 12 weeks to get in, one places stresses that if you do not want to wait for 12 weeks, DO NOT ORDER a manner stock.

Not positive but this is how I read the page.

If you look at other stocks such as the HS Precision stocks, many of them have inventory lists on their section showing you what is in stock ready to ship, there are none for the Manner stocks that I could see, at least not the models I looked at.

I have both McM and Manners stocks and can't tell any difference in the quality.

However Manners has realistic turnaround times and will talk to you....

They are just out of that current model. They keep their inventory updated. They have a couple other styles in stock. Just shoot them am email and they will let you know when they will have more in.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts