Man Arrested for Selling Fake Leupolds

What an idiot.

If he wouldn't have been in Oregon, I wonder how long it would have taken him to get caught.

He has the gas station in Columbia City selling his stuff for him. I bought one of the scopes on a whim when I stopped there a couple years back or so. I think it was labeled as a banner dusk and dawn scope, but as soon as I got home and opened the box it was obvious it was a china knockoff of the product. I looked up the supplier of the china crap on the internet to see how much he paid for it and where it came from then printed off the information and went back to the gas station and told them they were breaking the law selling the stuff and it was fraud.... they gave me my money back but continue to sell the stuff to this day.

Had a student show up to class with one. He left by midday for obvious reasons of optic not tracking, but he got them cheap and bought three!

maybe they should arrest leupold execs for selling $200-$300 scopes for a $1000 plus. that kind of thievery is permitted. I have bought many Chinese copies and they were very well made. today the slogan buy American really means allow me to rip you off. I had Norinco and Polt Tech M1Ais that cost me 300-400 hundred shot as good if not better then all the US ones. how can it possibly make sense to sell that rifle up to 5K?

IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG

I bought a fake off the ol' eBay the other day, got it in the mail yesterday and upon inspection it was a fake, confirmed with Leupold as well. I have seen a number of (usually obvious) fakes and this one is a pretty good one, purchased from a guy in Huron, SD. See pics above. I have several Leupolds, all VX-3is of some variation, new and old. The reticle was a dead giveaway, they don't offer this model with a mill dot reticle and if they did it wouldn't have 24 dots, it would have 16. I couldn't see that in the original posting for the scope. But look at the lengths they went to get the box, paperwork, cover, cloth, decal and even the foam right!? The Leupold tech told me a few ways to identify a fake:

1. Leupold power ring always goes from highest (left) to lowest (right), fakes are opposite
  2. Reticle doesn't match model
  3. Windage and elevation adjustments are missing a brass ring below the adjustment knob, or may have screws holding the knob on

On the bright side, I did call PayPal and they put a hold on the payment, they have enacted the buyer protection plan and the rep assured me that I would get all of my money back. Anyway, buyer beware, thought I'd share.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.