Man Arrested for Selling Fake Leupolds

WOW

That is crazy detail for a fake product.

Tell me about it. What could the profit margin possibly be by the time it's made? These folks could just make a decent scope legally. Not to mention they're screwing with gun owners... not smart. I see you're from Raleigh. Do you shoot any competition? I'm headed to Butner for the first time this weekend.

late last year there was a dealer selling leupold and ziss and others that were fake at a local gun show and he was shut down. any one who thinks you can buy a new 800-1000 dollar scope for 250.00 deserves to get taken, imho.

late last year there was a dealer selling leupold and ziss and others that were fake at a local gun show and he was shut down. any one who thinks you can buy a new 800-1000 dollar scope for 250.00 deserves to get taken, imho.

I agree with you but the unfortunate thing is the scope is probably only really worth $250.

maybe they should arrest leupold execs for selling $200-$300 scopes for a $1000 plus. that kind of thievery is permitted. I have bought many Chinese copies and they were very well made. today the slogan buy American really means allow me to rip you off. I had Norinco and Polt Tech M1Ais that cost me 300-400 hundred shot as good if not better then all the US ones. how can it possibly make sense to sell that rifle up to 5K?

What? Leupold has been rock solid all thru the years. You can't blame them for the Trump U style trash that many US businesses have become since the early 70s when Dick Nixon got into business bed with China. As a former GE employee that saw them constantly knock off and steal IP, like eating peanuts, it was easy to lose respect for any country that so takes advantage of the US, besides embracing such trash as N Korea. It'll make them poop their pants when we get a president that actually restarts US manufacturing.

I agree with you if/when your example is the case. Paying somebody 20% of what something is worth is no better than selling something fake, but you gotta know what something's worth to buy it or sell it. This scope was intended to mimic a lower end scope and the "discount" was moderate, it wasn't a too-good-to-be-true discount. In this case this scope retails for $389 on OP and it sold (after a number of bids) for $226 + $15 S&H. For an open-box item, which is what I was looking for, that's a good deal, if it's real, but you aren't stealing it.

Last edited:
maybe they should arrest leupold execs for selling $200-$300 scopes for a $1000 plus. that kind of thievery is permitted. I have bought many Chinese copies and they were very well made. today the slogan buy American really means allow me to rip you off. I had Norinco and Polt Tech M1Ais that cost me 300-400 hundred shot as good if not better then all the US ones. how can it possibly make sense to sell that rifle up to 5K?

In the U.S. workers have families to feed and expect a decent pay, in China it's make this or be shot in the head.

Thats a crazy good fake. Its funny that they go into such minor details to make it look authentic then screw up the reticle.

With the location of the sales I would have been more worried about the product being stolen then fake to be honest.

He could have gotten away with it in CAli. Leupold have to get the FBI to shutdown the fake factory.

Thanks for posting this and for the original post. The power ring direction is something I'll be looking out for.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.