Man Arrested for Selling Fake Leupolds

What? Leupold has been rock solid all thru the years. You can't blame them for the Trump U style trash that many US businesses have become since the early 70s when Dick Nixon got into business bed with China. As a former GE employee that saw them constantly knock off and steal IP, like eating peanuts, it was easy to lose respect for any country that so takes advantage of the US, besides embracing such trash as N Korea. It'll make them poop their pants when we get a president that actually restarts US manufacturing.
you do realize that leupold does not make their glass and 99% of all scope companies get their glass from china japan and phillipines. I have read US optics gets glass from china. leupold already has a few items totally made in china. Eventually they will outsource more and more of their products to china the same way Carhart and red wing boots did. trying to be patriotic while US companies stab you in the back makes no sense

you do realize that leupold does not make their glass and 99% of all scope companies get their glass from china japan and phillipines. I have read US optics gets glass from china. leupold already has a few items totally made in china. Eventually they will outsource more and more of their products to china the same way Carhart and red wing boots did. trying to be patriotic while US companies stab you in the back makes no sense

Leupold manufactures to specifications, which their scopes always met in my experience, and serves up a lifetime warranty. Their cost is on par with many others including Nikon. They have never stabbed me in the back as some fluffy US company that manufactures in china. They are designed, machined and assembled in the US. I'll take that.

Update: So last Friday made 2 weeks since I purchased my fake Leupold on the 'bay'. Upon receiving and inspecting it I immediately reported it to PayPal to stop the payment, and I have to say, those folks are bulldogs when it comes to someone ripping a customer off. They refunded my payment in full and advised me not to return the fake scope, as I suppose one less in the system is one less they'll have to deal with again from this seller. So, anybody wanna buy a fake Leupold??? Just kidding, I'm going to let my gunsmith share it with his students and then take it around to my gunshop buddies and show it to them, and then it will sit on a shelf as a reminder that sometimes it's worth a few more dollars to buy from a reputable source.

I'm careful on eBay but I have found several sellers that are good.
Eurooptic..Optics Planet..Scope List Sales..Ecop!..have been fine!
"If it sounds too good to be true..."

I'm careful on eBay but I have found several sellers that are good.
Eurooptic..Optics Planet..Scope List Sales..Ecop!..have been fine!
"If it sounds too good to be true..."

Buying sight-unseen is always a gamble, and paying full retail doesn't ensure you'll never get scammed, just read the article at the beginning of this thread. In a hobby like long range shooting, I've had to buy a LOT of stuff online due to lack of brick-and-mortar retailers in my area. I've had great experiences with Midway USA, Optics Planet, SWFA, On the Mark Tactical, Bison Tactical, Short Action Precision and a number individual sellers on ebay, gunbroker, gunauctions.com, heck even craigslist. This situation was VERY unusual in comparison to my experiences, most folks in this discipline aren't trying to screw over their fellow shooter. This seller was just a ***, and you're going to encounter people like that if you do a lot of wheeling and dealing.

Last edited:
I would think Leupold might be interested in that fake Leupold for evidence for a fraud case against this person that sold it to you.....
And be better if EBAY was on Leupold's side in court to show their backing for a company that deals in the shooting industry.......if not...leupold should go after EBAY for having such transactions on their site.....becauee they stood to make money from the transaction......

I would think Leupold might be interested in that fake Leupold for evidence for a fraud case against this person that sold it to you.....
And be better if EBAY was on Leupold's side in court to show their backing for a company that deals in the shooting industry.......if not...leupold should go after EBAY for having such transactions on their site.....becauee they stood to make money from the transaction......

After getting a clinic on spotting fakes from a very knowledgeable and helpful Leupold rep, I've been looking for them (because I'm still always looking for a deal on a leupy, lol). I've found quite a few, and when I do I always msg the seller to let them know it's a fake. I give them 24 hours and if the listing is still up and not altered to show that the item is an "imitation" then I report it to Ebay.

Last edited:
As a CYA I understand that...if they didn't make money from each transaction....but that is EBay's income....
If they returned the purchasers money..they know they have liability...
Lots of places try to deny responsibility...doesnt always work....

Hell....as voters whom put Trump in office....dont we share in his political bs...and all the crap put onto his family....i think Congress shouldn't spend a dime to look into anything Trump related until Clinton's and their allies all rot away in prison.....

Why not just report it...let EBay report it to Leupold and then let a Leupold
person buy it as represented and have FBI right there filming it.....

I agree with you if/when your example is the case. Paying somebody 20% of what something is worth is no better than selling something fake, but you gotta know what something's worth to buy it or sell it. This scope was intended to mimic a lower end scope and the "discount" was moderate, it wasn't a too-good-to-be-true discount. In this case this scope retails for $389 on OP and it sold (after a number of bids) for $226 + $15 S&H. For an open-box item, which is what I was looking for, that's a good deal, if it's real, but you aren't stealing it.
Flounder trap you are right, I also look for open box teams and the old bargain cave items at Cabelas. For hard hunting rifles the used or store demo scopes have value. I am in fact still looking for a quality product that performs to the manufactures reputation not some fake ***.

Why not just report it...let EBay report it to Leupold and then let a Leupold
person buy it as represented and have FBI right there filming it.....

Because an individual may not know it's a fake, so it gives them a chance to do the right thing and take it down. Benefit of the doubt. If somebody is selling more than one I report them asap.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.