Magnum AR Project

You can control the port size, it's called an adjustable gas block. The only way to change the pressure at the port, is to move the port. Period

All of that may be , all I know is that with all that I tried first off , I had blown primers, cases stove piping and that was with reduced loads from online powder charges and with an adjustable gas block shut off and I am shooting suppressed until I went with the extra heavy buffer . I was able to load 3 rounds and it shot, eject, picked up a round, shot, eject , picked up a round , shot, eject and locked back as normal. All case were perfect , no pressure signs , round edges on primers . I just haven't gotten back to further testing and load development .
Interesting how you had cases stovepiping with the gas block closed.

Op--Have you applied for a patent on the lower design? It could be a big seller if it works out for you

Do you have to modify the barrel feed ramp in order to use the aics mags?

I have played with notching magazines, and milling a channel in the magwell of ar15's for longer loading-- so much so that you end up having to notch the feed ramp for the bullet tips to clear--- I wonder if you had the aics mags with no binder plate if you would need to start modifying the feed ramps too?

I know of some guys running wildcat cartridges in 308 based ar's that would be all over your extended length aics lowers

Last edited:
I thought some of you would find the project I've been working on interesting. This is my AR10 style rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM:
View attachment 458794View attachment 458795
The lower receiver is my design, it accepts AICS short action mags. The mags allow for slightly longer OAL for the 300 WSM and factory length 6.5 PRC cartridges, plus they're a lot more stout than AR mags IMO. I'm still experimenting with the gas system and buffer and spring rates, both 300 WSM and 6.5 PRC guns are slightly over gassed. Other than that, the guns feed very well, no complaints on the magazine performance. I'll post more info as I get out and test more.
If they are over-gassed have thought of/or are you using an adjustable gas block? What is your weight of the platform pre-optic? Like many here looking for lighter weight magnum options. Myself starting to look at light weight Weatherby rifles. Great looking rifle.

If they are over-gassed have thought of/or are you using an adjustable gas block? What is your weight of the platform pre-optic? Like many here looking for lighter weight magnum options. Myself starting to look at light weight Weatherby rifles. Great looking rifle.
If you look at his pictures you will see he has an adj gas block

Op--Have you applied for a patent on the lower design? It could be a big seller if it works out for you
Design patents, while not completely worthless, are not worth much. I doubt that it is patentable as a utility patent.

What is the barrel shank size inside the barrel extension? With WSM - diameter cases, I would think there might be hard extraction if you run your cases near max pressure.

I thought some of you would find the project I've been working on interesting. This is my AR10 style rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM:
View attachment 458794View attachment 458795
The lower receiver is my design, it accepts AICS short action mags. The mags allow for slightly longer OAL for the 300 WSM and factory length 6.5 PRC cartridges, plus they're a lot more stout than AR mags IMO. I'm still experimenting with the gas system and buffer and spring rates, both 300 WSM and 6.5 PRC guns are slightly over gassed. Other than that, the guns feed very well, no complaints on the magazine performance. I'll post more info as I get out and test more.
Nice work! I am a huge 6.5 PRC fan and I really never thought about having an AR10 chambered in that round. I have a Nemo Omen with a 24" Proof Research barrel chambered in 300 Win Mag and it is a joy to shoot. Nemo has a proprietary bolt system that at first glance looks like an AR10; however it has an extra compression spring in the bolt, plus the one in the stock that gives recoil of the 300 Win Mag like that of an AR15 in 5.56. I hunted whitetails with it for a season; however with a suppressor it was just too heavy for me to pack around--but I love the gun and it is very accurate. It has 4 different gas settings for suppressor use and then for using different weight bullets. Due to the weight I just get it out every once in a while to punch paper with and like I said--it is a joy to shoot. Last year I bought a SAKO S20 Hunter bolt action rifle in 6.5 PRC and as stated earlier--I love that cartridge. Good luck on this build and please keep the information coming as I would like to know some of your load and target data. Thanks and happy shooting!

Im SUPER interested in a lower that takes AICS mags. I ran one of the KAK 300wsm uppers on a standard lower, it was fun but I couldnt really take advantage of longer projectiles. I settled on 150s so I could seat them out a little further.

Do you have to modify the barrel feed ramp in order to use the aics mags?

I have played with notching magazines, and milling a channel in the magwell of ar15's for longer loading-- so much so that you end up having to notch the feed ramp for the bullet tips to clear--- I wonder if you had the aics mags with no binder plate if you would need to start modifying the feed ramps too?

I know of some guys running wildcat cartridges in 308 based ar's that would be all over your extended length aics lowers
No patent yet, but it's on my radar once I have the final version done. I have a "big bore" style extension, other than that nothing is modified. In all honesty, I probably don't need much of a feed ramp since the mag sits high enough to align the cartridge to the bore. I shot factory 6.5 PRC ammo through it the other day without any feeding problems. I'll take a couple closeup photos of the mag and barrel extension so you can see what I'm talking about. The other modification I forgot about is the BCG. I have to make the bottom part of the BCG a little more narrow so it will fit between the feed lips on the magazine. I'll take a picture of that too so you can see what I'm talking about.
What is the barrel shank size inside the barrel extension? With WSM - diameter cases, I would think there might be hard extraction if you run your cases near max pressure.
It's a stock big bore LR308 extension, no modifications. I'm using both a KAK extractor as well as a modified LR308 extractor. I'm guessing the KAK extractor is very similar to what I modified (a larger cutout for the rim and removing one rubber washer from the extractor spring). I don't see any signs of hard extractions yet.

I should have mentioned, with the fluted barrel and no scope, the rifle weighs in at 8lbs 11oz. It probably could be lighter with a carbon fiber barrel and handguard.