Ar newb!

Craddock precision for barrels. Sometimes he has steals on contract over run stainless barrels in various calibers

I've built, modified, and fired more than I will admit. You are starting off correctly by building from scratch and picking what parts you want. Most will buy a factory AR, then have me take half it off and add other parts they bought. This is a waste of money.
If you want a self defense/blaster then you can get away with a lot less research and money then if you want a 500yd gopher rifle. In most cases you get what you pay for. But the AR market is so saturated rite now you can get a great rifle for less then a grand. A good blaster/self defense for $500. Stoner (not related to the original engineer in an way) makes low end parts and runs fine. Complete uppers for $199. Del ton and PSA make decent parts for a low end blaster.
I personally recommend buying each individual part, rather than complete assembled upper, or rifle kit. Most those parts will end up in a box when you are done.
I personally like the Sharps Rifle company BCG, or at least the bolts due to their metallurgy. I like DD or Bravo company barrels. I like BCM handguards. POF, Timney, or Gisselle, or ALG defense triggers. I live in a temperate climate where thick clothes are worn for half the year. This dictates collapsible stock so the eye relief and length of pull can be adjusted. I prefer the mid length gas system, or if you use carbine length use an H2 buffer.
On my coyote rifle I'm running the DD STW 18" with mid length gas, 1/7 twist and it's a tack-driver with 75 gr OTM handloads. I don't like adjustable gas blocks on defense rifles due to a number of possibilities and issues. I could ramble opinions for days.....
What is your budget?
Keep rambling....Would love to hear some reasoning behind why you like the components you like,
Quad Rail Overkill_zpsdujse6oa.jpg
sorting through all the AR bs is ridiculously complicated. Since you mentioned you like Sharps bolt due to the metallurgy, I would imagine you know more that this guy....

It's not complicated it's just marketing. Combined with keyboard warrior know-it-all's. Reputable companies make good stuff, that has proven it's worth in countless online reviews. Just pick what you like and build one. It won't be your last. Just have fun with it. But be careful. If you form an opinion and post it online, a million overweight, pale, sweaty, range commando's will lecture you on how you are wrong. :)

I've built, modified, and fired more than I will admit. You are starting off correctly by building from scratch and picking what parts you want. Most will buy a factory AR, then have me take half it off and add other parts they bought. This is a waste of money.
If you want a self defense/blaster then you can get away with a lot less research and money then if you want a 500yd gopher rifle. In most cases you get what you pay for. But the AR market is so saturated rite now you can get a great rifle for less then a grand. A good blaster/self defense for $500. Stoner (not related to the original engineer in an way) makes low end parts and runs fine. Complete uppers for $199. Del ton and PSA make decent parts for a low end blaster.
I personally recommend buying each individual part, rather than complete assembled upper, or rifle kit. Most those parts will end up in a box when you are done.
I personally like the Sharps Rifle company BCG, or at least the bolts due to their metallurgy. I like DD or Bravo company barrels. I like BCM handguards. POF, Timney, or Gisselle, or ALG defense triggers. I live in a temperate climate where thick clothes are worn for half the year. This dictates collapsible stock so the eye relief and length of pull can be adjusted. I prefer the mid length gas system, or if you use carbine length use an H2 buffer.
On my coyote rifle I'm running the DD STW 18" with mid length gas, 1/7 twist and it's a tack-driver with 75 gr OTM handloads. I don't like adjustable gas blocks on defense rifles due to a number of possibilities and issues. I could ramble opinions for days.....
What is your budget?
So true, better to build what you want than purchasing an already built AR. I bought one off my B-I-L, after shooting it for a while, I did not like the hand guard, the iron sights, the trigger, the safety selector since I am a lefty, did not like the grip and did not like the stock.. This was my first AR, and if I would have just thought about it before jumping on it when offered, I would have just purchased a Lower receiver and custom the rest. Now, since I replaced all the items listed, I could build another AR with the spare parts..

Good barrel and trigger really are worth the money in an ar. Geissele makes a **** fine trigger. Larue makes a trigger very close to as good for a way better price.

As others have said get a good barrel and trigger. Krieger, lilja, wilson combat, white oak are just a few. I really like the Geissele SSA-E. Also, they sell a tool to square up the face of the upper. Some guys bed the barrel with blue loctite into the extension. It's a really fun thing that can get addicting.

So far looking at better parts and picking them separately instead of kits is what I'm gonna do. Gonna cost more but in the end I'll have a better gun cheaper than just buying a high end gun. That's what I told the little woman anyhow!

That's the way to go, start with the lower and barrel you want and make it all balance together if you can. Heavy barrel needs a light handguard.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.