Magnification for varminting

petenz

I recently have been using a .223 for varminting, it is my 'beater' ultralight .223 that sees use on goats, wallabies etc, but it also just happens to shoot .25" groups with my 55gr v-max handloads. I've been having pretty good success out to 250 yards or so (I zero for 200) with the 3-9 leupold I have on it, past there I tend to shoot over/under because I hold over for elevation (I don't trust the friction adjustments on the vxi) and often don't get it quite right. If I had adjustments that I trusted, I have no doubt that (in the absence of wind etc) I would be able to hit rabbits past 300y with it. My farthest shot I have taken with this rifle that has connected was a rabbit at 382 yards, in a slight left to right breeze. I guesstimated the holdover and windage, and smacked it dead center

The question is, do I really need a bigger scope? I don't see any advantage to it, I can see a rabbit pretty well at 350-400 through my 3-9

If I was shooting further, I could see the need I suppose

Last edited:
Some people like more magnification some don't. What ever you prefer. My self I like as much as I can afford. You can see more detail and also use a higher magnification as a spotter.

There use to be a few high powered scopes(NF8-32&12-42 and a couple of cheaper 32xs) but looking at the prairie dog arsenal these days you'll find a few 12x Leupolds, a couple of 16x IORs, 4 more IOR variables that are set to 18x(The MP-8 reticle is MOA @ that power) and 2 3-9xs that have mildot reticles in them.
One 3-9(Tasco) is on a 22lr that has ben used to get a few dogs past 300 yards in perfect conditions, the mildot really helps! The other 3-9(Sightron) is on a lite CZ in 223 and is my favorite walkabout critter-getter, again the mildot makes it work for me:cool:
There is a Leupold 3-9 VX1 on the 17 HMR that works alright but not my first choice of scopes.The x hairs are a little too far apart to use effectivly for holdovers.
For me the 3-9 works great for a walking varminter/calling gun but prefer 12-18x when the range gets past 400 or when shooting targets(prairie dogs off of a bench).

I have had the same question; finally decided it comes down to personal preference and finance. To use a 3-9 at the distances you mention, however, sugggest you need something more than a fine duplex reticle- mildot or varmint, probably- to help eliminate the "guesstimate" of windage/elevation adjustment.

I shoot groundhogs; out to @ 200 yards I use a 223 with a 3-9 Leupold (fine duplex). Beyond that, I go to a rifle with a higher magnification and a varmint reticle, although the smaller field of view can make target acquisition difficult. My latest is more magnification (6.5-20) with side mount adjustment... I can see them at lower magnification, then quickly zoom in for a shot.

Scope Magnification :

Depends on a lot of Variables . The distance , the size of the game , the type of rest or free-hand , lighting conditions , reticle size , your eyesight , the weather/ heat waves , and probably more . For small targets like prairie dogs off a Tripod Rest or Bench , I prefer a 16X out to about 500 Yards . All shots are in bright sunlight and the Reticle is a fine cross-hair. Beyond 500 Yards I prefer all the magnification I can crank -to under the atmospheric conditions that time of day . If you are successful by your own definition .....why change ?

It seems to me that you are doing pretty well with what you have.

The method of hold over and windage will continue to build your skills. A scope with clicks will just cost more money and you'd loose many shot opportunities due to the time it takes to range, click then shoot. The bunny would be in a different spot and you'd still have to use your current method.

I'd stick with what you have. Should you fall into some big bucks then something with a graduated reticle. Which then brings all of the mind boggling stuff that tulku mentioned.

I have no problem at some pretty distance targets with a 14X. To have more power available isn't bad either.

Would you take shots beyond than 400 yards if you could see farther than that? If you answered yes, you may want to consider something with a top end up to the 16-24x. Pick the scope that best fits your pocketbook. Buy the best you can afford and then save and add another $200 just for good measure. You won't look back. :)

Good shooting,

1kstr

I have a bushnell elite 4200 2.5-10 that I intend to put on when I get my vxiii 4.5-14 from the custom shop for the .270, I think that the 2.5-10 should be enough for me and the clicks seem to be repeatable and accurate, at least at 100

I bought a Stoney point Target turret off ebay and fitted it, it seems to return to zero reliably (Aiming at a bit of chipped paint on my back fence off a stable rest and winding it up and down), I've got a drop chart worked out for out to 500, I'll see how it goes....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.