22BR for varminting?

xsn10s

I've got a pretty good supply of small rifle primers and want to extend the range further than my AR15's. So I'm starting to consider a 1-8"T 22BR barrel Remage build for a balance of extended range, decent powder efficiency, and accuracy. Anyone one else using one? Considering this or maybe a 22 Creedmoor using SRP cases. 22 Creedmoor has more velocity at a cost. The 22BR seems like a better balance.

Why not? Accurate and fairly economical once you have the brass. I've used many smaller and larger 22's for prairie dogs over the years. My current love is the 22Nosler. 60 grain vmax kills prairie dogs at 500 yards effectively. I shot one coyote at 375 and he dropped like rock. I'm not real fond of rainbow trajectory in the field, much prefer faster and flatter. Most shots are 200-400. A 200 zero, high body hold at 300, slight hold over at 400 works good for me.

I've got a pretty good supply of small rifle primers and want to extend the range further than my AR15's. So I'm starting to consider a 1-8"T 22BR barrel Remage build for a balance of extended range, decent powder efficiency, and accuracy. Anyone one else using one? Considering this or maybe a 22 Creedmoor using SRP cases. 22 Creedmoor has more velocity at a cost. The 22BR seems like a better balance.
XS 10 -

Howdy !

I DK what application(s) you might envision for a .22BR ?
Being out West, I'd imagine potential use on PDs and perhaps Rock chucks ?

I myself had one of the very first .22BRs out there. It was set-up initially as a short range bench-rest rifle, w/ a SS 22" Hart 1-14.
After a short period of shooting it as a bench gun, I had the barrel put on a M-77 and in a fiberglass M-40A1 McMillan.

I loaned the rifle to my best friend, for his use. The gun was ok for shooting NE Indiana groundhogs, but was not setting the world on fire. I was much happier w/ the range capability and deliverable energy my wildcat .22-35 Remington gave me ( 24" SS Hart 1-14 ).

I formed .22BR brass with both SR and LR primer pockets, and really saw no difference in group size; or accuracy in the field.

With regards,
357Mag

22BR, what's not to like? Easy to form, easy on components and isn't picky on what it's fed. The 222 is the only other cartridge I have loaded and shot with that was this easy.
I did a prefit Shilen select, zero free bore 1-12" twist as I have no plans of any heavies with this case size.

As mentioned above the 22 Nosler sees no love by many. I built mine on a bolt gun and use 6.5 Grendel magazines with no issue. I went with a 26" barrel and see excellent velocity and speed with none of the jabber one reads of frequently. It is NOT a 22-250 nor does it try to be one.

The 22BR and 22Nosler both fill a gap between the 223/5.56 and the 22-250.
The 22BR edges out the 22 Nosler, just because the BR has been around longer and more knowledge and data out there. 6BR brass is somewhat scarce at the moment. Nosler had some pretty decent sales the past few weeks, I bought 22Nosler cheaper than I can load myself and it shoots fantastic to boot.

I don't have one(yet), but that 22 BR isn't far from 22-250 velocities and the accuracy is said to be terrific. What's not to like for a varmint rifle!!
Gary

I don't have one(yet), but that 22 BR isn't far from 22-250 velocities and the accuracy is said to be terrific. What's not to like for a varmint rifle!!
Gary
Yes I agree. I wish they made small rifle primer 22-250. That would be the easy/ cheaper button for me. But I hear the 22 BR is easier to tune.

Yes I agree. I wish they made small rifle primer 22-250. That would be the easy/ cheaper button for me. But I hear the 22 BR is easier to tune.
XSN -

Howdy !

FWIW - Lapua does make SR-primed .22-250 brass.

With regards,
357Mag